Problems reinstalling Windows XP, File Missing/Corrupt

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
i am trying to install xp and have 2 problems
1st out of 40gb hard drive it will only see 840mb so how can i get into fdisk
2nd problem when i try and install xp it installs the files and yhen says the following file is missing or corrupt:(windows root>system32\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file

Re: install xp

1st prob, you'll need win98 boot disk (floppy, unless you have a win98 boot cd).

how do i get one of them don't no any one with windows 98

Thread title modified.

Please be more specific with your thread titles in the future.

ok now formatted but still coming up with error message

Is the CD scratched? burned? was downloaded?

EDIT: Have you tried a spare CDROM?

Last edited:
Hmmm? wonder why you're reinstalling? Could it be maybe you tried a linux distro and now done with that you can't run windows setup? Well this is common with "some" linux that alter the boot sector of the hard drive to make it unrecognized by windows. Been there, done that. So I boot to my floppy with WD's diagnostics tool and run a quick format. Then all is fine with windows setup.

how do i get one of them don't no any one with windows 98

you do not need windows 98 to get that boot disk, you could make it within Windows XP very easily.

If the CD is scratched it will give errors such as the ones you mentioned. Also if your CD/DVD drive is acting up will do the same. Do as Admiral Michael suggested, get another CD drive. I came across errors like this many moons ago doing an install. Also, come to think of it, clean the drive. They are probably read errors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back