Problems reinstalling Windows XP, File Missing/Corrupt

kev59

OSNN Senior Addict
i am trying to install xp and have 2 problems
1st out of 40gb hard drive it will only see 840mb so how can i get into fdisk
2nd problem when i try and install xp it installs the files and yhen says the following file is missing or corrupt:(windows root>system32\hal.dll. please re-install a copy of the above file

ming

OSNN Advanced
Re: install xp

1st prob, you'll need win98 boot disk (floppy, unless you have a win98 boot cd).

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Thread title modified.

Please be more specific with your thread titles in the future.

Admiral Michael

Michaelsoft Systems CEO
Is the CD scratched? burned? was downloaded?

EDIT: Have you tried a spare CDROM?

Last edited:

Arniestan1

OSNN Addict
Hmmm? wonder why you're reinstalling? Could it be maybe you tried a linux distro and now done with that you can't run windows setup? Well this is common with "some" linux that alter the boot sector of the hard drive to make it unrecognized by windows. Been there, done that. So I boot to my floppy with WD's diagnostics tool and run a quick format. Then all is fine with windows setup.

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
If the CD is scratched it will give errors such as the ones you mentioned. Also if your CD/DVD drive is acting up will do the same. Do as Admiral Michael suggested, get another CD drive. I came across errors like this many moons ago doing an install. Also, come to think of it, clean the drive. They are probably read errors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks