Problems, Problems

S

slo_hand2

I have tried several different ways but none seems to work.

I need to make a flash drive bootable so that I can boot my Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop, I know I need a new hard drive and though this would be an alternative for now.

I have a sandisk 2 gb flashdrive cruzer micro which has included U3.

I tried to format the drive using the HP tool and ended up with a drive on the drive driveJ and on Drive J a drive K, don't ask me how but thats it, now when I try to remove the U3 it says I can only do it on 1 drive at a time and that I should remove 1 flashdrive first, I can't get rid of the K drive!

sounds nus I guess but that is my situation.

any ideas, I tried Bart and bart pe

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok My Hard drive crashed and I know I need a new one, I was running windows minipe on it thru my cd/dvd player, but now that cd/dvd has crashed as well, (the platter spins but it does not read).
there is no floppy disk drive.
It is a Dell Inspirion 1200 which I know is a poor excuse for a laptop but it was my sons; who got it as a gift.
I have tried to do it with a flash drive but as I state in another post I need to make the flashdrive bootable which I have not been able to do to date.
And Idea's?
besides trashing the laptop lol

Re: Make a flash drive bootable

http://u3.com/uninstall/

that will get rid of the part that makes it a U3 drive. Then you should only see one drive when you insert it instead of the system drive and the stick drive

Re: Make a flash drive bootable

http://u3.com/uninstall/

that will get rid of the part that makes it a U3 drive. Then you should only see one drive when you insert it instead of the system drive and the stick drive
Thanks but I still get the error that I must remove one of the flash drives first it can not proceed!

I guess my first problem is to get rid of drive K on drive J hmmmm I have tried to figure that one out and get nowhere

Last edited:
New hard Drive

Never done this before so thats why I'm asking first.

I bought a new HD for my laptop (the old one crashed) my cd/dvd drawer has also crashed so it is inoperable at the moment, what will I expect to see when I turn on the laptop after installing the new HD?

I have a thumb drive that has win 98se on it and in My documents win XP pro copied from installation disk.

the laptop should see the new HD as new Hardware correct?

I should be able to load the win XP onto the hd from the thumb drive correct?

Last edited:
Re: New hard Drive

is this an internal laptop hdd or external, if internal yes it should see it (depending what the bios limit is and the size of the drive is) and it will be blank, you will need to format it and install an operating system

the hd will be internal
* Includes: Bare Hard Drive Only
* Capacity: 60.0 GB
* Interface: ATA/100
* RPM: 7200 RPM
* Height: 9.5mm
* Screw Hole Pattern: New
* Avg Seek Time: 10MS
* Buffer Speed: 8MB Cache
* Warranty: 3 Year Warranty

and thank you for your response I forgot to say that

Last edited by a moderator:

The drive will not be formatted or partitioned. That means that the Bios will see it but DOS or windows will not see it. Windows was on that dead HD you are replacing. It is windows taht recognizes "New Hardware" and installs drivers for it.

You need the CD/DVD drive workng to be able to do anything at this point. With a working optical drive you can use the windows cd or your repair cd to format and partition the drive. Once that is done then you load windows from the CD.

Depending on your bios you might be able to install windows from a thumb drive but making a bootable, install, thumb drive is a lot of work If you are not tech savy.

There will be many special drivers for the laptop which is why you will need a repair or install CD for your particular laptop. Sometimes they come with the laptop, sometimes you have to request one from the manufacturer.

OK update, I have the hard drive for the laptop, now to format and install winxp on it.
It was suggested that I buy a IDE adapter cable and connect to my hard drive in my Desktop.
My question is how do I do this? do I connect the Ide adapter to the spare connector on the IDE cable in my desktop and then connect ot the laptop hdd directly?

what is the proper procedure for connecting the laptop hard drive to my desktop ? and once connected will the laptop hd show as another drive on my desktop, and at that point can I use my cd/dvd to install my winxp to the laptop had?

I don't want to burn up the new HDD or my Hard drive in my tower, because of ignorance so I need some advise please

winxp on 2 HD on 1 computer?

This is what I need, I have my laptop 2.5 hdd connected to my desktop via a Ide adapter cable, the Laptop HD is brand new and I have formatted it already. MY desktop sees the 2.5 as a separate hd "new Vol J "

My problem now is how to get a win xp on the laptop HD while still connected to the desktop. When I try to take an OEM cd of win xp and run it in the cd/dvd rom drawer of the desktop it comes up with a message like this "there is a newer version of win xp already installed," and it will not allow me to install this on the 2.5 hd.

I cannot use my cd/dvd rom on the laptop because although the disc does spin, the laptop does not see the cd/dvd rom at this time (drivers?)

I have to use my desktop (somehow) to get a version of xp onto the 2.5 hd but how?

It was suggested to disconnect the hd associated with the desktop Drive C, and that should work,( should work is the word).
It was suggested to go into bios and boot from cd, again no definite answer just a suggestion. I have not tried either of these suggestions yet.

I can not afford to distroy the desktop to make this happen, but I need to get it done,

But How?​

Can someone please help

cd/dvd problem

My laptop Dell Ispiron 1200 crashed its HD and seems that the cd/dvd drawer has lost its drivers, my question is how ca I get the cd/dvd rom to work again, the drawer will not open with the button, only if I use a small pin to release the drawer will it open, if I have a cd in the drawer the cd is turning when I open the drawer so I know there is power to the cd/dvd I have removed the cd/dvd from the laptop and then put it back in thinking maybe it was not seated correctly after a fall (which most likely caused the Hd to die) but still not working, The bios does not see the cd/dvd.
I formatted a flashdrive and installed win 98 se, (only thing the flashdrive would work with) and thats how I know the bios does not see the cd/dvd, and as well when I power up the laptop (with the flashdrive) it says that the drivers are missing .

the CD is a Philips, model SCB5265 DVD-rom/CD-RW drive

various threads all merged. Please try to keep things neat and not start a new thread for a continuation of an old problem.

various threads all merged. Please try to keep things neat and not start a new thread for a continuation of an old problem.
I am sorry I was trying to keep it neat since it all concerns one problem, just taking the problem from step to step.
I have an update but will place it in a new thread thank you for your responses

installing Winxp via a IDE adapter

Ok this all relates to another of my posts, but here is fresh utd info.

I am trying to install winxp onto a 2.5 hd that will go into my Dell Inspiron 1200.

I had to format the new HD via a IDE Adapter with my desktop since my cd/dvd is not working either, and there is no floppy.
So the HD is now formatted and I want to install a winxp on the 2.5 HD.
It was suggested that I use and IDE Adapter and disconnect the desktop HD and place the cd in the desktop cd to run. That done i turned on the desktop, and the install started, but then an error popped up:

Quote: The computer startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install winxp on this hard disk.

The lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example, Disks attached to SCSI adapters that wasn't installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard drive controller are typically not visible to the startup program unless special software is used. Contact your computer or harddisk controller manufacturer for more information.

On x86 based computers this message may indicate a problem with the CMOS drive type settings. See your disk controller document for more information.

I still have everything hooked up in hopes that someone has a solution.

umm.. no - don't start a new thread. That is what you were doing before. I merged all the threads you started about this into one thread.

Keep it in this thread unless it is a completely separate/unrelated problem.

umm.. no - don't start a new thread. That is what you were doing before. I merged all the threads you started about this into one thread.

Keep it in this thread unless it is a completely separate/unrelated problem.

Again I am sorry I am so perplexed, and my head is spinning seven different ways at the same time, this problem has been nagging at me for days, I need to get this done and every avenue I have taken has fallen short with dead ends!
so please merge the new thread if you want again I am sorry to be so much trouble!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back