Problems installing Windows Installer 3.1

Eiji

OSNN Addict
I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 with all the latest patches and updates and recently had problems with the install and repaired it by doing a repair install over the current install.

Well after the repair install, I went to Windows Update and it prompted to download Windows Installer 3.1 but the problem is it won't install. I get a 'Access Denied' error.

I did already have the installer installed prior to the repairs being made to the OS.

Now I can't grab any updates from Windows Update because the installer needs to be installed first.

I've tried installing for both the redistributable package and Windows Update but both fail.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

What disc did you use to repair XP. The original or one that was slipstreamed with SP2?

If it was the original you need to make a slipsteamed SP2 disc, now do a repair using that disc.

Try this. Go to control panel add remove programs. Windows installer 3.1 is on the list. Remove it then see if you can reinstall it.

If that doesn't work use a registry tool to remove any entries for Windows Installer 3.1.

I used a slipstreamed SP2 disc to repair the install.

Already removed the program via control panel.

I have also already tried the "Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)" as stated in the first post and I also get a 'Access Denied' message with that.

Did your have to validate you version of windows before you could download it ??

Have you tried running system file checker?

Start, run then type in the box:
sfc /scannow

You could also try the troubleshooter then click on The update cannot be installed or the installation freezes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back