Problems deleting results of search

D

dpyers

I ran some searches to delete all files with a particular extension from a folder with many sub-folders. returned about 150 files.

When I select all of them, and hit delete, I get the error message "Cannot Delete File: cannot delete from the source file or disk".

I can only select about 20 files and delete them. As I go through the deletions, the number I can select and delete gets smaller, and smaller. Eventually, I can only delete 4 or five at a time.

Meanwhile, every now and then, the list seems to refresh itself and adds files I've already deleted - sometimes 10 or 15 repetions of each deleted file.

This is driving me NUTS! I've got several thousand files to delete and this is just not the way to do it.

Searched the forums and MS KB, but didn't tuen up anything. Any insights into what I may be doing wrong?

Running
Win XP - SP1
Office XP - SP2

did you try to delete 'em from a DOS box?

del /f /s /q c:\yourdir\*.extension

/f - Force deleting of read-only files.
/s - Delete specified files from all subdirectories.
/q - Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to delete on global wildcard

dpyer wrote:
Meanwhile, every now and then, the list seems to refresh itself and adds files I've already deleted - sometimes 10 or 15 repetions of each deleted file.

Do you search in this particular folder or in a whole drive? If you search in a drive or several drives the search results will refresh as soon you deleted something and find several instances of the deleted files in Recycler and 'recycled'. This is nothing to worry about, they will dissapear as soon as you empty the recyclebin. However if there are really new file created if you delete one, I'd recommend a virusscan.(Assuming you are not trying to delete systemfiles, which are under fileprotection)

I'm searching individual folders with many sub folders for all files formatted *.cdp

My recycle bin is turned off.

The deleted files that re-appear on the list many times have the full path to where they were, and their properties display indicates they are 64k.

Kind of naughty... files for microsoft's combat flight simulator...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back