Problems connecting to Some websites

raeuber

Vista's Absolute Beginner
Hi, there.

I experience some problems connecting to certain websites, including Microsoft's different sites... and this is especially annoying when trying to perform an update on VISTA HOME PREMIUM that came along with the newly purchased NB.

It did work fine for the first two months, but then I had to do some workarounds on the IPv6 adapters. When I was done, I ran one update, everything great, and then no more VISTA updates possible.

Again, the VISTA I have is a legal copy, what do I miss?

BTW, ad-aware and other proggies can be still updated...
:)

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Problems connecting to Microsoft sites

1) Why are you even bothering with the ipv6 adapters?
2) Have you tried backing out the "workarounds" and seeing if you are able to connect then?
3) Some more info like what errors or a more detailed description of the problem other than "I'm having problems" might help your cause :)

Hi, Fitz. Thanks for your reply.

I kept myself busy with the IPv6 adapters because I had problems connecting to my ISP. I found a yellow mark associated with the 6to4-adapter in SYSTEM.

So, when I disabled the adapters (including Teredo Tunneling) and those parameters relating to IPv6, I had my connection to the ISP. Moreover, the connection process bypassing all the IPv6 related procedures saved quite some time.

I came to this thread because the previous posts were concerned with some guy having problems connecting to windows update site... perhaps because of his serial number?!

Well, I checked that one last night, and I had previously activated my Vista version. So, ... where else to look?

OK, I will return to my workarounds and try again to hopefully get an error message.

try this

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

the following article has some details, not really related, but describes the different functions...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935400

and the following gets more indepth with M$ "next gen" tcp/ip stack (which is also linked at the bottom of the kb article)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb878127.aspx

hope that helps...

mod note: followup
i work for a isp, i have seen this problem many times, more specifically with Vista+PPPoE. microsoft.com, msn.com/ca, engadget.com, etc have issues.. just to name a few....

also, msn messenger won't work usually either

just to ammend/complete my previous post....

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, many thanks for your help, guys.

Now, I tried a number of things (but not the last post, sorry) until I got so frustrated that I returned to DAY ONE -- meaning, I installed from the recovery disks the first system.

Since then, I am rebuilding the entire system and making backup images before moving to the next level (consuming lots of time :dead:)

So far, with F-Secure, AdAware, and SPYBOT installed, everything looks fine. I will soon install VIDALIA-BUNDLE and see whether this one will screw up the system, then YAHOO MESSENGER,... step by step.

OK, for the moment, thanks a bunch!

TTYL, :yowch:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back