Problem with video files

R

razkal

A little while ago, I transfered all my downloaded files from a faulty Maxtor to a new WD using the iRecover. The music files were transfered normally, however, after the transfer to the new disk I can't open any of my video files (asf, avi, mpeg). I have tried using different players and each one presents a different error message eg: 'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the player does not support the format you are trying to play.' I tried 'divfix' for the avi files but it says 'This is not an AVI file.' Is there something else I can try or should I just delete the disk and forget about it?
Thanks in advance.

i'll take a wild guess and say that you forgot to install the correct codecs for these files on the new hdd. then again, for mpg files, you shouldn't need any codecs. for avi files, if they're divx, you definitely need 'em.

Download VirtualDub if you don't have it, and open the files with it. If you're missing a codec, it will let you know, and it will also reconstruct files that might have been damaged due to the Maxtor drive or the transfer. Get it here.

I have tried to open the recovered video files with Virtual Dub 1.4.11 but it presents the error mesage 'Cannot determine file type of "E:/filename.avi"'. :(

Originally posted by razkal
I have tried to open the recovered video files with Virtual Dub 1.4.11 but it presents the error mesage 'Cannot determine file type of "E:/filename.avi"'. :(

From my experience with VirtualDub, that's not a good sign. I do know that this error can be a result of the audio in the .avi file being AC3, but if your file worked before, then I doubt that's your problem. If DivFix doesn't recognize it either, then I'm afraid you might have a pretty corrupt file on your hands. Also, I've never seen an .asf file that wouldn't play... so I don't know what the deal is with that either. My best guess is that the transfer just didn't work. :huh:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back