Problem with svchost.exe

bobsalot

Boooooooooooooooooooom
Ok..this has happened twice now in the past few days. I notice that my pc fan is working very hard...lots of noise. So i open up task manager and see that svchost.exe is taking up 100% CPU. This has now happened twice.

I have googled it and svchost.exe seems to be harmless.

But i need your expert opinion to see what i can do.

Thanks.

edit: also..many cases of svchost.exe are running.....but only one taking up the cpu.

I been getting this a lot as well. It is driving me crazy. I thought it was a trojan or something, or maybe a program I installed. I went threw and uninstalled a lot of things and it still did it. So I have no idea what it is ..

I've found that this can be caused by Windows Automatic Update, once you have installed all current updates it usually stops. Might want to take a look into that.

I had the same problem. Right enough it is down to automatic updates but with office 2003 not windows itself. Try uninstalling office 2003 and see what happens. That's what I had to do and it seemed to fix it. I'm now using open office until microsoft fix this.

now you mention it. the last couple of days i have been having lots of windows updates in relation to office 2003. i will uninstall and see how it goes. i use office 2000 anyway lol.

edit: i cant even find it in add or remove programes.

all i can find is office 2000.

let me search for it.

If you want to see what services are associated with each process (svchost or any other process) you can run “tasklist /svc”.

Click start/run in the open box type cmd click ok when the cmd window comes up type “tasklist /svc” without the quotes and a space between tasklist and /svc.

This will list each running process and the service’s associated with them, it may tell you something right off or if nothing stands out to you then you can do a search for the service’s associated with each of the svchost’s that are running to find out what they are for (you may have a virus).

If you want to see what services are associated with each process (svchost or any other process) you can run “tasklist /svc”.

Click start/run in the open box type cmd click ok when the cmd window comes up type “tasklist /svc” without the quotes and a space between tasklist and /svc.

This will list each running process and the service’s associated with them, it may tell you something right off or if nothing stands out to you then you can do a search for the service’s associated with each of the svchost’s that are running to find out what they are for (you may have a virus).

This must be a XP Pro feature. I tried it with home edition and got the not recognized error ... I have noticed that if I disable autoupdate it goes back down again. I wonder if there is a way to stop the updates for office 2003 ...

That’s right I forgot it was for XP pro only, Sorry about that.

You can download the “tasklist” file from Here (second one down tasklist.exe) and then copy it to “c/windows/system32” replace the “c” with whatever drive windows is installed on.

Once the file is in windows/system32 then you can open a cmd window and run
“tasklist /svc” to get the list.
The download file is a Microsoft file and I haven’t had any problem running the list this way from an XP home machine.

This might tell you what service is associated with the office 2003 updates when the problem happens (then maybe disable or set the service to manual) and see if that helps untill Microsoft fixes this.

I don't think it is necessary to place the file in system32 as I have it in the root of the drive (c:\) and it runs fine from there.

It hasnt happened to me yet today. I think it was the update for office 2003. Must be a problem there.

Its still happening

i post tasklist now!!

Attachments

• svhost.exe problem.JPG
    svhost.exe problem.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Right click the task bar and select “Task Manager” then click “View” and click “select Columns” tick PID (process identifier) and click “OK”

This will add a column to the process page that will be listed as “PID” under this column will be some numbers; these are the process identifier numbers for that session.
(The PID number will change after every reboot so you can’t use the same number every time, you will have to check each time)

Now that that’s done you just wait until one of the “svchost” process’s act up again using 100% CPU.

When you see this happen again open Task Manager and make a note of the “PID Number” of the “svchost” that is using 100% of the CPU then open a cmd window and run “tasklist /svc” without the quotes and compare the “PID Numbers” with the problem svchost to find what process is giving you a problem.

“I’m just thinking out loud now so if you fine the problem is with the “usnsvc” service you may want to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the Microsoft windows live messenger and see how that goes”

Or ask others here with this problem to try the above steps and compare services that are giving the problems “never know we might see a pattern with the same service causing this on most of these occasions.

I don't have AOL installed in my PC and it did it all the time, until I disabled auto update. Since I disabled that it hasn't done it yet .. I was thinking windows live messenger as well, but, since it isn't doing it since I disabled auto update; I'll leave it alone to see what happens ..

I'm curious, are you running the newest version of WLM, Bobsalot ??

Thanx for the link, AZ. I will check that out ..

[edit] I just took a look at the process explorer, nice program by the way, it has a list in the svhost that was spiking for me. I noticed that Auto Update was right at the top of the list. And there was about 20 things in it that could be disabled, as they aren't being used. Looking at the list; I feel it is the auto update. It could be associated with Office 2003, though. I never had this problem until I installed office 2003. It's kinda funny though because I reformatted last week, adn before the refomat I had office 2003 in and it never did this. [/edit]

Last edited:
I get tons of pop-up saying genreic services has casued an error . . .
send report?
I play lots of games - and this caues issues

it just started last week

bobsalot - Did you see link to process explorer and/or is problem solved?

i have process explorer. i havent been in for past 3 days so i havent noticed if anything has happened.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back