Problem with router

Valatiel

OSNN Newbie
Hey, I'[m new here. I have a serious problem with my router that's caused me to stop using it for a while, and my dad said maybe you guys could help me out, so here I am.

My problem with that I have a DSL connection and two computers that I want to hook up to it. So I went to CompUSA and they pointed me in the direction of the routers. So I pick up a US Robotics model and bring it home, setting everything up exactly like it told me to. I fire it up, and at first everything's great. But within a few minutes, it stops trying to connect to the internet. Like, at all. I just get messages that websites cannot be reached. I've tried downloading stuff from Limewire right before this happens, and I noticed the bandwidth just DIES. Worse, when I open up the control panel through my browser to see just what the problem is, it only loads half the page. I hit refresh, and it loads a QUARTER of the control panel. And then it just sits there. So invariably I have to disconnect it, reconnect it, and then I'm good for another few minutes before it decides to die on me again. I went into the control panel when it was reconnected and checked out the admin time-out, and way-hey, it's disabled, so that can't be it. What's wrong with my router?

The first thing you should try is to flash the latest firmware. You should be able to download it along with instructions from the manufacturer's website. Let us know how it goes...

You mean update the firmware? That occurred to me after I had posted, so I downloaded the update from the website and tried it out. Problem it, when I tell the router to update, the status bar in the browser says "Sending request" for the longest time before telling me that the connection was reset.

I would return it and get a more reliable product brand. I myself prefer Linksys and have always had good luck with them.

Alternatively, you could try returning your current model to CompUSA for a swap, I would think there is something wrong with your router that you purchased.

Does the connection work OK if you are connected from a PC to the DSL modem directly?

Yeah, if I connect directly, it works just fine. It's been bugging me for a while, actually; here I have a router that can allow both me and everyone else to use the internet connection at the same time, and I'm forced to make do with switching out the computers on the modem.

Weirdly enough, even though the firmware thing obviously didn't take, I've been checking to see how long I can stay online and it hasn't booted me off yet, which is some kind of record. If it turns out I'm just being foolishly optimistic, though, do you guys think that the router's just messed up and I need another one?

Windows XP comes with a TFTP server, which can be used to flash with most .bin firmware. Note that the Windows PC needs to be configured with a static IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, and cannot use a DHCP IP address when flashing the firmware.

Use the following command on a Windows PC:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1(router address) PUT firmwarename.bin

Give that a try...if that doesnt work, take it back and get something else.

Yeah, if I connect directly, it works just fine. It's been bugging me for a while, actually; here I have a router that can allow both me and everyone else to use the internet connection at the same time, and I'm forced to make do with switching out the computers on the modem.

Weirdly enough, even though the firmware thing obviously didn't take, I've been checking to see how long I can stay online and it hasn't booted me off yet, which is some kind of record. If it turns out I'm just being foolishly optimistic, though, do you guys think that the router's just messed up and I need another one?

I would just keep an eye on it, if it continues try to swap for another.

Windows XP comes with a TFTP server, which can be used to flash with most .bin firmware. Note that the Windows PC needs to be configured with a static IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, and cannot use a DHCP IP address when flashing the firmware.

Use the following command on a Windows PC:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1(router address) PUT firmwarename.bin

Give that a try...if that doesnt work, take it back and get something else.
Good tip, but I wreckon you are making that overly complicated. If the connection isn't letting him hit the admin webpage it probably will drop too many packets when he tries to TFTP as well.

Good tip, but I wreckon you are making that overly complicated. If the connection isn't letting him hit the admin webpage it probably will drop too many packets when he tries to TFTP as well.

Certainly...but it is worth a shot and could save him a trip. :)

I'm assuming it is a wired router, not wireless. Wireless has it's whole own can of worms to deal with.

If it is wired skip the above and exchange it. You are not being paid to do product testing for the manufacturer. A router should not be doing that, period. Installing a routed home network out of the box is the most painless PC task there is.

Make sure your ISP allows you to connect multiple PCs through a router. Some do not and may be able to detect the extra machine and drop your connection.

Routers are the easiest plug and play devices

PS Compusa is great about returns/exchanges.

Okay, guys, thanks a lot for your help. I went ahead and called up Verizon, and they walked me through changing my modem settings. Turns out that the modem wasn't set to bridge, so I'm hoping that's the problem. If not, then I'll probably go ahead and return it, get a better model like you guys said.

Anyway, thanks again. Hopefully this is the last problem I'll have with routers.

Okay, guys, thanks a lot for your help. I went ahead and called up Verizon, and they walked me through changing my modem settings. Turns out that the modem wasn't set to bridge, so I'm hoping that's the problem. If not, then I'll probably go ahead and return it, get a better model like you guys said.

Anyway, thanks again. Hopefully this is the last problem I'll have with routers.

Ahh, yes, bridge mode. I ASSumed that since you were getting any connection at all that it was already configured properly. What still bothers me, though, is that you cant reliably login to the router. If I were you I'd still try to do a firmware flash. JMO.

Anyways, I'm glad you got it up and running!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back