problem with router

russellc

OSNN Junior Addict
ok i've been using my router for a few days now and i decided to move my basically unused hard drive from the computer connected to the router through lan to the computer upstairs, connected through a wireless network adapter. ever since i plugged that hard drive into the computer and used it, the wireless network adapter has always been showing an excellent signal strength, but cannot connect to the internet or the router page. when i try having the settings at dhcp, it gives an invalid ip address error and when i try setting a static ip, anything related to the network doesnt work, just like before. internet connected through the lan works though, which is how i'm posting this. on the router, the led for the wan flashes sometimes. i'm using the smc2804wbr. thanks in advance :)

reset the router... if it still shows invalid ip, run wizard again.

i've tried resetting it, upgrading the firmware, powering off router, changing settings and none of them have worked. i can't even upgrade the firmware

You should be careful upgrading fireware if your connection to router is shoddy .. bad flash can make a dead router. ;) Also am I reading this right and you have a wireless access point and a wired router? If so then you would have to make one the gateway and other make sure other is set as a "router" not a gateway so that it forwards traffic to the gateway to the internet. :)

i fixed it by resetting to the factory defaults lol..but i still can't upgrade the firmware...and i'm using a wireless router and wireless network adapter..

check which firmware is already on the router. Also, check that you have the right firmware to upgrade to.

it should be right...it's from version 1 to version 1.10, but it keeps saying invalid file name

oh.. I think you need to unzip it if it's in a .zip file.
Also, you must not do anything to the file if it's in .bin format. you just need to go into the router and upload the .bin file when you upgrade the firmware.
(This is the case for my Netgear router and Linksys wireless router.)

how do i "go into the router"?? i go into the router's page, but that's about it...and i do unzip it..it extracts a bin file and a txt file (readme)..

russellc said:
how do i "go into the router"?? i go into the router's page, but that's about it...and i do unzip it..it extracts a bin file and a txt file (readme)..
What does it say in the readme about how to upgrade it? Linksys you usally can either use the flash program that comes w/ the update or go into the router web setup and do it from there.

ok i just checked the part number and they don't have any firmware for it...and the current firmware is from september 26, 2003...should i use the firmware for the thing with a different part number or just leave it? the firmware i had was from the one with the different part number..

russellc said:
ok i just checked the part number and they don't have any firmware for it...and the current firmware is from september 26, 2003...should i use the firmware for the thing with a different part number or just leave it? the firmware i had was from the one with the different part number..
If there is not update DO NOT use a different versions update ... this will kill your router.

Yeah built in protection ;) Lucky you didn't have a program that tried to force it :p

russellc said:
do they have any programs like that? :D lol
they have them for flashing cd burners and the like (as many are rebadged) ... not a good idea unless you 100% know what your doing or have $ to burn :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back