Problem with Media Player

G

Garretts77

I am new to XP. I upgraded last night and now my Media player won't open. It says that it "has encountered a problem and must close. Sorry for the inconvenience." This happens if I try to open a file, or even try to just open the Media player. Anybody have any advice??

You can try running a 'chkdsk /f' and/or a 'sfc /scannow' and see if there are either disk errors or system file errors. If these don't come up with anything, you might want to consider formatting the drive and performing a clean installation, it can be done with an upgrade disk as long as you have a qualifying product on disk to show the upgrade disk during installation.

This actually happened off of a clean install. I reformatted and installed yesterday. The only thing that i can think of is maybe it doens't like the video card, but the drivers are up to date, and it works with everything else...

hmmm. This isn't a solution, more of a test. Open windows explorer, go to the 'x:\Program Files\Windows Media Player' folder. Double click on the file mplayer2.exe - this will launch media player 6.4... see if that one works on your system.

Interesting. This one works. Is there something completely different between the old and the new Media Players that would allow one to work and one not?

They use different files and i'm sure the newer version is a lot more complicated. Did you run the chkdsk and the sfc (system file checker)?

I really don't know what could be wrong with your media player. Not enough information to troubleshoot it with it. Look in your event view logs and see if it's generating any errors there that might give you a lead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back