Problem with Logging off or switching users

S

Sarge

I am having a problem when other users are logged on. Everything runs fine until they attempt to log off or attempt to switch users. Any attempt to log off or swithc users causes the computer to freeze. Other users are also not able to shutdown the computer. The only account that works properly has administrator privilages.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sarge

This is a shot at the dark, but unless someone gives you a better solution, try installing the XP PowerToys. it has a small app in it that allows "Fast user switching". If you already have the PowerToys and the Fast User Switching thing installed, try to uninstall it.

I disabled fast switching and then re-enabled it. I did have a problem, I had off line files activated. I disabled working with files off line and was able to re-enable fast user switching after that. The problem remains however. I still can't log off other users.

Just another shot in the dark.

It may be a program that you have running that isn't shutting down right under the log off conditions. You might try running Windows without starting any normal start up programs.

To get at the startup programs I use:

msconfig.exe

It can be started from the run command. The startup tab should give you access to everything that starts with Windows. I think you can safely remove all of these programs. Windows XP uses services to start programs that it needs to function. The nice thing about using this utility is that it's reversable. When you remove the check in the box the box remains so you can replace the check later to start the program again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back