• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Problem with LCD monitor power

dipdog

OSNN Junior Addict
I've have a problem with an LCD monitor. The on/off button will freeze in the on position (green light on), such that when I push the button, it will not turn off. Most of the time I'm not even aware that it's happened, until I reboot the computer. When the screen goes black, just after the Windows XP logo and just before the "welcome" screen, it remains black with the power light still on. When I unplug it and plug it back in, the screen comes up just fine. This seems to also happen randomly when the screen goes black just before switching to a screen saver. I've tried to disable all running programs with msconfig to see if a program was causing this. I was almost convinced that my Trend Micro Anti-Virus was doing it, as I seemed to be able to replicate and stop the problem by enabling or disabling the program. So I uninstalled the program, but now I noticed that it's happening again. Although I can't pinpoint the problem, it seems to be just predictable enough that I'm reluctant to think that it's an electrical issue. Any ideas?

dipdog

OSNN Junior Addict
driver?

no, not under warranty :(

took some advice and used DirectX Diagnostic Tool to check the driver settings. Results were as follows:

Card name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2572&SUBSYS_4043107B&REV_02
Display Memory: 96.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3889 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/20/2004 19:11:36, 37951 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
Mini VDD Date: 8/20/2004 19:26:00, 737874 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6632-11CF-FA7C-4960A3C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2572
SubSys ID: 0x4043107B
Revision ID: 0x0002
Revision ID: 0x0002
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
Draw Test Result: Failure at step 7 (User verification of fullscreen bouncing): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 32 (User verification of Direct3D rendering): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

It was at these failure points that the screen repeatedly and predictably went and stayed blank (black) while the on/off button froze in the on position.

I went to the Gateway website a while ago and tried to download the updated drivers for my monitor, but the computer said that I had the most recent drivers already installed.

Any advice? Appreciate your help!

the direct x failures indicate a problem, with the video hardware, direct x or the video chipset drivers, not the monitor.

if the vid or drivers are locking up it could be putting the monitor in sleep mode. if i turn my pc on too soon before the monitor this happens to me. i have to power the pc off to get the monitor to start responding.

this could be a problem with the windows sleep mode too. i avoid that completely. wake up is always hit or miss.

turn the pc off countt to five before turning it back on instead of hitting reset.

dipdog

OSNN Junior Addict
Monitor driver?

The monitor driver that is installed right now is the MSFT default monitor driver. There is an updated driver for my monitor at the Gateway website. I should point out, if I wasn't clear before, that this is not a Gateway computer. It's an Emachine that came with an Emachine monitor. I'm trying to upgrade to a Gateway LCD.

I'd like to try to update the monitor driver and see if that helps. Does anyone know how to manually do that? I knew at one time, and I've forgotten. If I try to update, the Wizard says that it's not able to find a more recent driver, even when I direct it to the folder where the new driver was downloaded. If I sign on as administrator in safe mode, the properties box on the monitor driver tab is greyed out. If I uninstall the driver, the properties box is no longer available, and the computer automatically selects the default driver when I reboot.

- Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies