Problem with IP address and internet connectivity on second computer

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
O.K. not sure if the title is descriptive as to my problem, but here goes.

I have SBC DSL which is now AT&T. I have three computers connected to a SMC Barricade Router. So DSL in to DSL Modem, then to SMC Router, then to my computer (computer No. 1), computer number 2 and to computer number 3. all of which are plugged into the back of said Router. Router address 192.168.2.1 IPs 192.168.2.1xx and so on for each of the 3 computers.

Problem:

Yesterday I pulled computer No. 3 and replaced with a dell optiplex/optiflex GX240. This computer was empty, blank, no OS. So I installed XP and SP2 and O.K. it's running install Video drivers and such and it works fine. Has a built in ethernet thingy, so I plug in the cable from router and it shows it's trying to connect and such. I get the error that "local Network connection is limited or not working". The usual, hey your connection sucks. Now the odd thing is that I tried to repair the connection but it pops up a message that it could not complete when it was trying to get address. So I disable the onboard ethernet and put in a card I had sittin around. Yes it works, I pulled it from another computer and it was connected to internet and working. So, I boot and it trys to connect and same thing. Funny/odd thing is that I will disable each of these connections and I get the same error. So I go into the connection properties and set IP maually instead of the get IP automatically setting through the tcp/ip settings. The connection then seems connected but still no internet. I go to computer No.2 and look at settings there and I set everything the exact same. Automatic settings blah blah blah, and still crap. The one thing I saw was that when it is set to auotmatic address thingy I highlight the connection in Network Connections in Control Panel and on the left hand side where you can see the Details it shows some way off address that it has gottin automatically. Address shown is 169.254.67.132 not even close to the address it should get from the Router. So how do I fix this and get it to connect like the other computer did?

One other thing, I have MAC Address Control enabled on the Router. Now how do I find the MAC address for the new computer No.3? Maybe this is the problem and I need to change this so it sees the new 'puter and such? Or should I disable MAC Address Control?

you could disable the MAC contol on the router, than when the router finds the conputer, and everything is up and running you can reenable it.

or you type GetMAC from a commandline

One other thing, I have MAC Address Control enabled on the Router. Now how do I find the MAC address for the new computer No.3? Maybe this is the problem and I need to change this so it sees the new 'puter and such? Or should I disable MAC Address Control?

This is exactly what I was going to say

from the start bar click run

type cmd

type ipconfig /all

you should see something similar to this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
H:\>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : XXX
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : XXXX.COM
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXX.com
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connect
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1XX.XX
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1XX.X
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1XX.X
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1XX.X
192.168.1XX.XX
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:14:41
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:14:
41 AM
H:\

Add what you see in the physical address line in the routers access list and you should be fine...

REPS+ falcon I didnt know that command existed...

very nice

you could disable the MAC contol on the router, than when the router finds the conputer, and everything is up and running you can reenable it.

or you type GetMAC from a commandline

that command doesn't seem to work in my command line

is that the full command?

Cool. I will try as soon as I can go home to computer in question.

Lancer, the /all switch has to have a space after the ipconfig command.

ipconfig*space*/all
If ya forgot the space in between, it won't work. :D

If this works reps to all. :cool:

[edit] holy shiit :eek: it works without the space. :eek:

[edit number 2] I just saw (more clearly :p) what the command was that you said didn't work. :s *shots self in head* :dead:

Last edited:
Cool. I will try as soon as I can go home to computer in question.

Lancer, the /all switch has to have a space after the ipconfig command. If ya forgot the space in between, it won't work. :D

If this works reps to all. :cool:

You are correct gonaads; however, I think he was talking about the getmac command which will show your mac address as well

:D

very nice command indeed...

do you have XP Home? maybe you need Pro to have the getmac command. I think the systeminfo command is a pro extra (you can simply copy the file to a Home machine to get the functionality).

getmac is the bomb - very useful command.

works nicely here for us as a lot of our machines have virtual adapters as well

do you have XP Home? maybe you need Pro to have the getmac command. I think the systeminfo command is a pro extra (you can simply copy the file to a Home machine to get the functionality).

AHHH

maybe thats why I didnt know it existed... both my PCs were home edition until the last time I updated my PC

Also, getmac is not listed in the help file...

:D

I like output the of:

Code:
getmac /fo list /v
C:\Documents and Settings\Admiral Michael\getmac /fo list /v

Connection Name: Wired LAN
Network Adapter: National Semiconductor Corp. DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter
Physical Address: Disabled
Transport Name: Disconnected

Connection Name: 1394
Network Adapter: 1394 Net Adapter
Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00
Transport Name: \Device\Tcpip_{F3C85B62-6105-4490-B688-0CB8DC968CAE}

Connection Name: Wireless LAN
Network Adapter: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00
Transport Name: \Device\Tcpip_{E319D291-19AB-4A80-83FB-C202AD15835D}

Last edited:
Yeah! All is good again. getmac command izz da Shiznit! Reps to... you know who. Those that helped, thanks. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back