Problem with DVD-ROM

D

donkey

I'm having problems with my DVD-ROM. Firstly, I tried creating a backup of a game using the DVD-ROM as the source but an unrecoverable read error was found.

I then created the backup on another computer and the game ran fine but when I got to test it out with my DVD-ROM, I get the message "Microsoft encountered an error....etc."

The game works fine though in my CD writer so I'm assuming that the DVD-ROM is the problem.

Does anyone know what the problem could be. I can't seem to figure it out because it still works with most other games.

I'm thinking of uninstalling it and then reinstalling it but wouldn't have a clue how or what software I need to reinstall is again.

Can anyone help me here.

Thanks

is it an old device,try cleaning the lens it may be as simple as that:happy:

If this is the only disc causing you problems it could be a scratch in one particular area of the disk that cannot be read by the laser of that drive. I have seen scratched discs that could not properly be read in one drive but were read just fine by another drive.

I suggest you try copying it on someone else's computer.

Hope this helps

The drive is only 3 months old, if that.

How do I clean the laser if I want to anyway.

Also, the cd that it's not working with is brand new. No scratches anywhere. The problem is within the .exe file.

your dvd might not be able to read sub channels and other read functions

dvd's are not the way to go to back up game files ever

always use your cd burner to back up your cd's

this willl cause your program to copy the disc to hd first and then it will prompt you to switch the disc

if you post the model number of your dvd and the name of the disc you have problems with we can troubleshoot from there

cheers
egghead

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back