Problem with defragging my HD

B

bytezboy

I can't defrag my C Drive for some reason. It's on NTFS partition. I used defragmenter on XP and it gives me an error that says:
Defragmentation of Local Disk (C:) has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in teh filesystem. Please run Chkdsk or scandisk on Local Disk (C:) to repair these inconsistencies, then run Disk Defragmenter again. Scandisk can't even scan my disk, it says: Windows was unable to complete the disk check. I tried using Norton Speedisk 2002 and it gives me an error that says: Speed Disk is unable to access Drive C:. Please check to see if another application has the drive locked. This is bs, I did not lock the HD.. I tried disabling antivirus and screen saver but still no luck. I suspect that it's due to NTFS.. I should've never used NTFS.. argghhh why must XP have so much file permission related problems/bugs? XP is really pissing me off. Anyone have any clue? How could MS make a defragmenter and not work under XP.. they should've informed people that it won't work.

No, my drive can be defragmented fine. I am using Diskeeper 7.0, and I have used Norton Speedisk as well...my Scandisk works fine, and I am using NTFS as my file system...

Not sure what your prob is though...sorry... :(

Go to your run box from the start button and type in 'chkdsk c: /f' without the quotes. This will schedule an error check on the next reboot. The disk is locked because it's currently mounted... you're using it to run XP on.

When you reboot and it does it's check, run defrag again.

Uninstall the Norton Utilities. I ran into a similar problem and there's some program that locked my drive. Avoid speed disk anyway because it messes with XP's natural optimization cycle. Diskeeper and/or the built in defrag (diskeeper w/o the frills) is all you need.

fat 32 on an nt based os is rife with security holes. also slower.. by a lot. much less manageable. i also love how people install a bunch of crap on their systems to do things windows does pefectly well by itself and then blame windows when they get bugs/errors/crashes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back