Problem with an Access database in Windows 7

SysProg

OSNN Addict
I recently upgraded from Windows XP (32-bit) to Windows 7 (64-bit) and am having problem with an Access database.

I use a shareware program called SlowGold (to slow down musical passages without changing the pitch). SlowGold stores info in an Access database. When you install Slowgold, it creates an empty slowgold.mdb file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\SlowGold. I used the program a little to very that it worked under Windows 7, which created a few records in the database.

I opened the original slowgold.mdb file with Access and see that it contains just a few records (the file size is 128KB). I then renamed the original file to end with '.old' and copied slowgold.mdb file from a backup to the SlowGold directory (and called it slowgold.mdb). The file from the backup is 260KB.

When I open the 260KB file with Access, Access shows only a record or two in each table (actually it shows the exact same data as slowgold.mdb.old). If I rename the 260KB file to something other than slowgold.mdb (i.e. slowgold_new.mdb) and open it with Access, it shows all of my data. If I rename it back to slowgold.mdb, it shows almost no data. It shows the same info after a reboot (cold start of Windows).

I have updated slowgold.mdb using Microsoft Access in the past. (I am careful to shut down the Slowgold program before opening the database in Access.) This is also the same release of Access that I was using prior to the Windows 7 upgrade.

Anyone have a clue as to why Access is showing the data for the 128KB file when I open the 260KB file? I have searched Google for this and came up empty.

I have another PC running Windows 7 and if I open the 260KB file on it (with a file name of slowgold.mdb) it shows all of my data.

Re: Problem with an Access database in Windows 7 - Solved

I found a solution to my "problem" :).

Microsoft added code in Vista (if UAC is enabled) and kept it in 7 which doesn't let application programs write to sensitive areas in the directory structure (i.e. “c:\”, the “Program Files” and “Program Files (x86)” directory structures, and the “Windows” directory).

SlowGold stores its database file at "c:\Program Files (x86)\SlowGold". When it attempted to update the database, Windows wouldn't allow the update to occur in the “Program Files (x86)” directory. It copied the file to the VirtualStore directory "c:\User\yourusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\SlowGold". Even though I copied my "backup" database file to "c:\Program File (x86)\SlowGold" Windows intercepted all open requests to the file (at this location) and opened the file in the VirtualStore instead.

Here is a better explanation of the Virtual Store
Can I Delete from the Virtual Store? | PCMag.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back