problem running acrobat and IE7

ming

OSNN Advanced
hi

Im having problems getting acrobat to do its job when trying to save a webpage to pdf format in IE7. it was running perfectly fine before I reinstalled vista the other day, now every time I try to save webpage to pdf inside IE7, IE7 just shuts down with an error (which I think relates to DEP or memory of some sort).
As I said, it was working perfectly fine before I reinstalled vista, now it doesn't work at all.
Does anyone know what's wrong?

What version of Acrobat are you using? Acrobat 8.1 fixes all compatibility issues with Vista and IE 7. Anything older may not work properly (I had problems with 8.0 under Vista until the 8.1 update became available).

I'm using 7.08/7.09.
It's been working perfectly fine before I reinstalled vista.

ming, so you reformatted and reinstalled Vista then Acrobat 7? Now IE 7 closes when you try to save the web site as a PDF? How about printing it to the PDF Printer?

ming, so you reformatted and reinstalled Vista then Acrobat 7? Now IE 7 closes when you try to save the web site as a PDF? How about printing it to the PDF Printer?

Yep, that's right.. reinstalled everything after reinstalling vista. Printing to PDF printer doesn't work either.
oh, and I have uninstalled/reinstalled acrobat after the problem first occurred and the problem is still there.
I'm looking at restoring an image of C: that was done at beginning of July, but it's over the 30days period (before activation). If I can't get the image to run then I'll just have to wait til around september (when I get a new HD) before I activate windows.

Last edited:
Acrobat 8.1 is supported. Thank you.

Attachments

• sample.pdf
    284.7 KB · Views: 779
Sorry, had to post another little quip.

I have noticed a LOT of people posting blatantly erroneous information. This typically occurs on the hardware side of the forums but I have also noticed it on the software side.

Please understand, we are here to offer assistance to questions and also learn. If you have not personally experienced some things, or cannot make a judgement call based on your information and are instead relying on unsubstantiated information, please refrain from posting that as fact. It gives the wrong idea and can lead to user issues afterwards.

We are all volunteering our time and knowledge, no one gets paid and therefore everyone is on, relatively, equal footing.

I know we are all posting with the best intentions in mind, but please understand that the end-user asking a question is NOT yourself and therefore you should be that much more considerate.

Feel free to point out very clear issues with some items that there is no way to tip-toe around. Equally, do a little more research about things you don't know about.

Just felt it needed to be said. Additionally, this is NOT directed at anyone in particular, it is more a general comment.

Cheers.

Yea, erroneous, I was just posting that Adobe themselves say that Acrobat 7 is NOT supported on Vista. Apparently the 8.01 update is compatible, but the 7.x series is NOT. In the same vein, earlier versions of AutoCAD [pre 2008] can be forced to work on Vista but is not officially supported. That means down the line when an update or something else breaks its compatibility they are not going to fix it, period. Same applies to Acrobat. I don't think that it integrates with Office 2007 either.

I also see people posting blatantly erroneous information and feel the necessity to point out the short comings and pitfalls that some, not directed at anyone, like to conveniently overlook.

Yea, erroneous, I was just posting that Adobe themselves say that Acrobat 7 is NOT supported on Vista. Apparently the 8.01 update is compatible, but the 7.x series is NOT. In the same vein, earlier versions of AutoCAD [pre 2008] can be forced to work on Vista but is not officially supported. That means down the line when an update or something else breaks its compatibility they are not going to fix it, period. Same applies to Acrobat. I don't think that it integrates with Office 2007 either.

Fyi, that attachment is from a Vista Enterprise OS based notebook with Adobe Professional 7.05. Additionally, it works perfectly with my Office 2007 Enterprise, much better compatibility than under XP.

Further, Adobe is pointing out that the product has not been fully tested under Vista and therefore, as any company should say, they cannot guarantee that the features work as said. You are making incorrect assumptions about whether or not Adobe is going to fix things, unless you have access to their inner-workings and/or their road-map.

Q. Do current versions of Adobe products support Windows Vista?

A. All Adobe products available as of January 30, 2007 were released before Windows Vista became publicly available and so have not been fully designed for or tested on this new operating system. However, many of those products run under Window Vista with minimal issues. To find out more about how different Adobe products work with Windows Vista, please see specific product sections later in this FAQ.

Obviously it works and Ming had no issues using it before either.

I also see people posting blatantly erroneous information and feel the necessity to point out the short comings and pitfalls that some, not directed at anyone, like to conveniently overlook.

Sorry, but your information IS incorrect in this case. My attachment proves it. If you want, I can go ahead and post a screenshot of adobe/office integrated and working perfectly in harmony (ver 7.05 no less).

Ok, obviously you are not going to believe me but whatever. Of course you do not notice from the quote you posted earlier, because you did not highlight it "To find out more about how different Adobe products work with Windows Vista, please see specific product sections later in this FAQ." From the FAQ later in the product sections it says verbatim "Acrobat 7 and earlier version do not support Windows Vista" and their official "How it Runs on Windows Vista" is NOT RECOMMENDED.

I also said that it might work now, but they are not making any guarantees that it will work tomorrow. I am not making any wild guesses or assumptions, that is straight from the horses mouth. I believe you are the one making incorrect assumption in that they will support it, when they are specifically saying they will not.

Dude, there is absolutely no reason for this discussion to continue.

First of all, Ming has already demonstrated his app worked fine before, but is not now. Further, I have proven that the app does indeed work under those exact conditions that Ming's previously worked.

Your comments are not helping with the issue at hand, which is why the application is shutting down now when it was working fine before.

Whether the adobe document says it is supported or not is moot. It DOES work, whether it works perfectly or not per the FAQ has no bearing on the discussion. There are many "designed for vista" apps out there, i.e. Nvidia drivers, which failed to work correctly for many months. Additionally, Adobe themselves have said they will trouble-shoot, within a reasonable scope, to allow compatability.

I am trying to help Ming here, I am trying to duplicate the issue that he is having and I am actively trying to cross out other causes. I don't want to get into a pissing match because it serves no purpose.

You are not using the application in question and perhaps not even using Vista. This should not and does not discount you from the discussion but, you are posting a FAQ that has little bearing on the actual issue.

whoa.. hey guys, i think you two are taking this thread away from the initial query/problem. I know you both mean good, and I appreciate your help very much.

As mentioned in my first post, I am using v7.08 which had been working fine so there's no need to for me to move over to the newer version. I have now managed to restore an image of the drive so that I'm now working with the original install and everything is working the way it had been pre-formatting my C: drive.

I don't know what caused the new installed of vista and acrobat to malfunction but I'm glad I made a backup image of my drive. :)

Don't make me get out the hose and soak the both of you - now place nice!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back