Problem opening files.

S

slayer[X]

If for example i double-click a file which is an unknown file type.
(You know,which open the "Open-with..." menu.)

There is no "Open-with..." menu that appears. Instead this message appears: (Look at attached image)

Any help?:rolleyes:

[In this example, i opened the file "QIII.isu" which doesn't have any valid application that can launch or open it.]

.isu isn't an unknown file type. It is an uninstall file. Did you check if it is there at the specified path?

If it is there, do you have by chance 8dot3 filename creation disabled?

Didn't know that an .isu file was an uninstall file.
Anyway, any type of unknown file, like .dll for example.
When i double click a file with a .dll extension, there is no
"Open-with" menu. Instead it says that windows cannot find that file.(Even though it's in there!)

(I just found out that even know file types are like this)

See attachment below to see the step-by-step happening.

I wonder if this has something to do with spaces or inability to use long file names. Make a folder with a short name with no spaces. Create a text document in that folder with a short name and no spaces in the file name.

Example:
C:\test\test1.txt

Write something in the text file and save it. Try to do the Open With... thing and see if you get the same results.

Ahh...
Anyone??

I think that a registry code went wrong or something when i choose "choose program".

Can somebody look for it?

Somtimes its just best to do a repair and get on with your life. If it is indeed a registry error, and you have no recent back ups then you are out of luck. :(

Only registry entry I can think of would be at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ * \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers \ Open With \
Default vaule on mine is
{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}

Hmmm...
How do i repair windows only?
I hope it ain't a reformat.

If you think it's a registry "eror", why not try a System Restore - do a System Restore to a point prior to this happening as that will restore your registry to that state.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back