PROBLEM on new ADSL router network

C

compbay

Hello,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone help.

Our house recently acquired ADSL.
We set up a small network of 2 PC's using an ADSL router.
One PC can DLoad from the net at speeds in excess of 60 Kbps (as we expected all to download at), however my PC barely reaches speeds of 5 Kbps.
I have tried connecting to the Router both via the USB port and the Ethernet port, but both have poor performance on my PC. The other PC works fine via either connection.

Any suggestions on things that may be wrong with my PC and possible solutions so that I may download at ADSL speeds???

I thought perhaps something to do with processor or motherboard (though both are fairly new and fast)- but I dont want to go buying new components before finding it's a software thing or something!!

Many thanks!
Alex

...Also, is it possible to network the PC's with one connecting to the Router via USB and the other to connect via Ethernet?
Cheers!!

remove and reinstall al the networking on the 5kbs pc, and no, even a p1 200 can download at 60kbs

I have removed all drivers and hardware relating to the 56k modem. Networking was all set up from scratch using ADSL but still the problem persists!

Any more ideas?
Cheers

You aren't trying to get 60kBps from both at once are you? Because 60 may be your max (that's about 748kbps which is a typical isp rating, the other's are1.5 mbps and the max commercial service at 3 mbps).

I'm assuming you are using wired, not RF network. The other possibility is a bad cable (or you didn't use Cat 3 or Cat 5 cable) to the second PC. Try moving it to where the first PC and router are and use a short cable to eliminate that possibility.

Also do a search in the network forum. I have seen an article about some setting that can cause a speed problem but forget the details.

Avoid the USB. Ethernet was made for networking and will provide the best results.

Glossary
Bps is bytes per second
bps is bits per second (1/8 the speed
Dial up is around 4kBps max.

No, we are usin one PC at a time.
The CAT5 cable that produce the 60kbps Dload on my brothers PC was also tried on mine using the same settings and the same hardware but my PC producing different results.
It is definitely something related to my PC and not the hardware we are using.
I have searched the networking forum and still not found any subjects relating to my speed problem.
I'm stuck!!!!

Here's everything I could find on "1 PC running slow on the net". The first one was the one I was thinking of.

10/100 mpbs Lan cards can have a problem when set to autosense. Set it to 10 and see if that helps. Under Device Manager, network, advanced, link speed / duplex. Set for 10 mbps duplex.

Firewall or router filtering ports could be a speed issue. Shutdown all filters for now.

Find a copy of tracert and run a check on the network for packet loss.

Try swapping NIC cards between PCs. See if the speed follows a specific card. Remember 97% of all hardware shipped is in good working condition!

Make sure that all unnecessary protocols (NetBEUI, IPX/SPX, NWLink,etc) are uninstalled

Firstly, I tried setting the LAN card to 10 mbps but no help as my current connection is via USB (which should still fetch at 60 kbps Dloads!)- I did try through LAN after changing but it did not help.

I have no firewall set up (as far as I know)- dont know how to configure or check router filtering ports although if it were a router problem the other PC on the network would have my same problem, wouldnt it?!

I ran TRACERT in the command prompt and although it showed me a few things I wouldnt know what to look out for!

My NIC card is brand new and works fine in the other PC!

I dont know where to disable NetBEUI, IPX/SPX, NWLink, etc.- they are never things I have used on my PC, therefore doubt that they are enabled!!!

If NetBEUI, IPX/SPX, NWLink are enabled they will show up under control panel-network connections-right click your lan connection-select properties-general tab.

The list of all services you have setup will be shown. TCP/IP is the internet, client for MS network and file and printer sharing are for the local network. Thats all you need for run of the mill computer use. Any other services may be interfering with your sspeeds. When in doubt compare the settings on the good PC to the slow one.

Post the tracert info. I'm not sure I can make anything out of it but others on the forum can. Remember to x out your IP before posting if security is a concern.

If all else fails or you get disgusted you can always try a windows repair on the slow PC. It will reload all the system files but not destroy everything you have set up on the PC.

Put in the CD, refuse the first time it asks if you want to repair. Tell it to do an install. It will then prompt if you want to do a repair. Say yes this time. This is the real repair function. You will have to redo all the windows updates and SP1.

If right after the repair the speed is back up to normal check the speed as you do the various updates and see if one of them is causing the problem.

I just got ADSL last week too and converted from dial-up. I was curious as to how fast I was connecting at so I went to a couple websites to benchmark my speed. I'm supposed to have 1.5 Mbps and was only getting like 137 Mbps. On the one site there's a java script that you can run that checks your system for optimization for ADSL. I ran that, made the changes it suggested and now I connect at between 1200 - 1300 Mbps. I'm on the outer edge of my service area so I think that's reasonable.

Optimization Checker
Speed test
Another Speed Test

Try those links out on your slow computer. Then let us know how it works out.

Originally posted by cruiser78
I just got ADSL last week too and converted from dial-up. I was curious as to how fast I was connecting at so I went to a couple websites to benchmark my speed. I'm supposed to have 1.5 Mbps and was only getting like 137 Mbps. On the one site there's a java script that you can run that checks your system for optimization for ADSL. I ran that, made the changes it suggested and now I connect at between 1200 - 1300 Mbps. I'm on the outer edge of my service area so I think that's reasonable.
I think you mixed up the Megas and the kilos. ;)

nope... that's what I got for speeds on the speed benchmark sites before I changed I changed the RWIN registry value. I know it sounds unrealistic, but I was downloading stuff quite slow for a broadband connection and after I changed I noticed a big difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back