Problem defragging my drive

A

Adam S

I defragged my C drive, rebooted, opened it back up, hit analyze, and it says it needs to be defragged.

so,t hen i tried using Norton's speed disk. i ran that, rebooted, then hit analyze in defrag. it says i need to defrag, and norton system doctor says i am 56% defragged.

this is a fairly new machine, with XP SP1. anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

hmm, interesting...try downloading a trial of perfect disk, ( use google, I don't have the link), let it lay out your files...see if this works

This is weird. I would uninstall service pack 1, then try to defrag

try defraging in safe mode. usually works better do to alot less things being loaded and used.

Have you ran scandisk , before defrag ? If theres any errors on the drive defrag doesn"t work . Try running scandisk first .

Have a look at the report & see which files are fragmented

if its a load of .log files & files located in temporary folders

ignore it this is normal for XP

the only time XP needs to be defragged is before & after installing programs & after uninstalling programs

:cool:

when degfrag finishes it says it defragged everything. i just downloaded diskpart trial and am going to try that, see if it works.

I'll try defragging in safe mode too, good call.

I've had this problem too. It seems large disks with much data on them (nearly full) are very hard to defrag. I don't know why this happens, but after two weeks of trying and three defrag programs to defrag my drive I gave up. It got only a little better then when I began.

I have a WDC 120GB and it has been 72% full and have never had problems defraging with Diskeeper 7.0

Once in awhile it asks you to go to command>chkdsk.

Other than that it's perfect.

default XP size. i have 512 megs of RDRAM, and i left the deault settings which should mean it is 768.

ok, now defrag is fine. it says i don't need to defrag, but norton systemworks stills ays my disk is 56% fragmented? guess I'll try diskkeeper now.

Diskkeeper 7.0 took care of it :) Disk defrag says 0% defragged, as does diskkeeper. Norton system doctor says 100% optimized.

lol, sorry. o% FRAGMENTED

whats funny, is after i run diskkeeper and it sais 0% fragmented, norton says 100% optimized. for the hell of it, i ran norton optimizer, now its says 99% optimized, and diskkeeper says i am 2% fragmented. LOL

so nortona ctually makes it worse, nice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back