Problem Connecting Dell PC to Sony HDTV

sdavis44

OSNN Newbie
I have a new Dell XPS 400 with an Nvidia 7800 GPX (I think that's the model number). Anyway, I simply get a "No Signal" on the TV screen. The connection should be pretty basic...a DVI connection to the Nvidia and a VGA connection to the TV via a DVI/VGA adapter. The TV input is set to video 8 which is a dedicated PC input which is the VGA port.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Have you activated that port on the Vid card?

Are you sure I need to do that? I haven't been able to get a screen up yet. Do I need to have a screen to look at? Or can I do it somehow on the card?

Thanks for your response by-the-way.

It may auto detect, have you hooked everything up and then tried to start the computer? Other wise you may to to try having the monitor on to switch it over.

You probably need to go through the display options and setup the connection for use on the TV is my guess.

Thats all that really should be needed.

Well, I just disconnected the TV and plugged into a standard monitor...still no good so it's not the TV.

When monitor sits idle with no video connection at all, there is a floating logo on the screen saying there is no connection. When I connect the video cable, the logo goes away and the screen is simply black.

I'm at a loss. I'm starting to suspect the DVI to VGA converter. But the Nvidia 7800 GTX has only DVI and S-video ports. The monitor has only VGA. So the converter seems the obvious thing to do. But no go so far.

Still open to any thoughts.

Did you restart the computer after swithching back to the monitor?

Thanks for all your responses. I fixed my problem and figured I let you know what the problem was...

I originally had a DVI cable connected to the video card on one end and a DVI/VGA converter at the TV end. That was the problem. For whatever reason, it simply doesn't work. When I tried the DVI/VGA converter at the video card end and used a VGA cable from there to the TV, instant success. It works and looks great. The only "problem" is that the display does not use the entire display. I get about a 40" diagonal display on my 50" TV.

Thanks again. (And let me know if you know any way to enlarge the PC screen. I've tried all the video card things...changing resolution, etc....and the TV things...zoom settings, etc. Nothing works.)

The converter must be one way. Have you tried changing the refresh rate? Sometimes this can cause display problems.

More than likely the tv auto senses what kind of signal is coming in. If you hooked up to a HD cable box then it would probably go full screen, same if you hook up a dvd player. I know some tv will not go full screen for like day analog cable signal. There may not be anything you can do for that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back