Probably a stupid PSU question!

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Okay so I bought a new Thermaltake 500w PSU. I start to hook it up when I realize that it's an ATX 2.0 model with the 24 pin MB plug and all I have is a 20 pin MB. I know they sell adapters so I went to order one when I came across a review saying "Don't buy this, just find the seam on the plug and clip off the extra 4 pins. Works everytime." This seems WAAAAY to easy (and kinda dangerous) but there were several posts agreeing with the dude who said it. So what do you think... Clip it or spend the $5 bucks on an adapter? $5 is no issue its just I've been without my machine for over a week now and I want this DONE ... I'm going through gamers withdrawl!

Thanks

Slam down that 5$ and splurge. It only takes once to fry your hardware goodness which enables you to play dem games !!

I agree with Master... cutting and sealing off the ends is a viable method but why when it only costs you $5 to fix it properly? not to mention you will have a good PSU when you upgrade to anything ATX 2.0, and then no need to buy a new one :laugh:

BouncingSoul said:
Okay so I bought a new Thermaltake 500w PSU. I start to hook it up when I realize that it's an ATX 2.0 model with the 24 pin MB plug and all I have is a 20 pin MB. I know they sell adapters so I went to order one when I came across a review saying "Don't buy this, just find the seam on the plug and clip off the extra 4 pins. Works everytime." This seems WAAAAY to easy (and kinda dangerous) but there were several posts agreeing with the dude who said it. So what do you think... Clip it or spend the $5 bucks on an adapter? $5 is no issue its just I've been without my machine for over a week now and I want this DONE ... I'm going through gamers withdrawl!

Thanks

Just snap the last 4 pins of the adapter off, that's what they're for. I've never put a PSU in without doing that actually. As far as I'm concerned it's the 'correct' way to do it. Your PSU plug should be designed to be able to do this. Piece of cake, honestly.
Obviously if there isn't a proper seam to split then I would recommend doing what mastershakes and mlakrid say :)

My Enermax has a slide off part to use it in a 20pin configuration, maybe that's what they mean?

That what I think it is, though the fact that this sounds "kinda dangerous" makes me think it may not be!

Duh. If it'sd the pure power it has a the 24/20 pin connector and the last 4 pins are removable.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 61
I just got home and yes, they are removable. I'm mad as hell that I didn't even look closely at it. Oh well, it works now and I'll have an extra 24-20 adapter if I need it.

Don't you just hate that when you miss soemthing obvious? I do it all the time, but then I'm old and senile...

;)

LeeJend said:
Don't you just hate that when you miss soemthing obvious? I do it all the time, but then I'm old and senile...

;)

:laugh:

Now I feel old and senile ... Gotta go chase some skateboard punks off my lawn. Crazy kids!

LOL - take your adapter to the trading post or the folding rig comp! Seriously man the lesson here has nothing to do with being old and senile.... you were young and too impulsive to wait for the answer (which was right in front of your nose all the time!)... so next time post here, if you need to, but then cool your heels and let us save you a few bucks and a lot of your time!

hehe :p :D ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back