• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Probably a stupid PSU question!

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
Okay so I bought a new Thermaltake 500w PSU. I start to hook it up when I realize that it's an ATX 2.0 model with the 24 pin MB plug and all I have is a 20 pin MB. I know they sell adapters so I went to order one when I came across a review saying "Don't buy this, just find the seam on the plug and clip off the extra 4 pins. Works everytime." This seems WAAAAY to easy (and kinda dangerous) but there were several posts agreeing with the dude who said it. So what do you think... Clip it or spend the $5 bucks on an adapter? $5 is no issue its just I've been without my machine for over a week now and I want this DONE ... I'm going through gamers withdrawl!

Thanks

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political User
I agree with Master... cutting and sealing off the ends is a viable method but why when it only costs you $5 to fix it properly? not to mention you will have a good PSU when you upgrade to anything ATX 2.0, and then no need to buy a new one :laugh:

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
BouncingSoul said:
Okay so I bought a new Thermaltake 500w PSU. I start to hook it up when I realize that it's an ATX 2.0 model with the 24 pin MB plug and all I have is a 20 pin MB. I know they sell adapters so I went to order one when I came across a review saying "Don't buy this, just find the seam on the plug and clip off the extra 4 pins. Works everytime." This seems WAAAAY to easy (and kinda dangerous) but there were several posts agreeing with the dude who said it. So what do you think... Clip it or spend the $5 bucks on an adapter? $5 is no issue its just I've been without my machine for over a week now and I want this DONE ... I'm going through gamers withdrawl!

Thanks
Just snap the last 4 pins of the adapter off, that's what they're for. I've never put a PSU in without doing that actually. As far as I'm concerned it's the 'correct' way to do it. Your PSU plug should be designed to be able to do this. Piece of cake, honestly.
Obviously if there isn't a proper seam to split then I would recommend doing what mastershakes and mlakrid say :)

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
I just got home and yes, they are removable. I'm mad as hell that I didn't even look closely at it. Oh well, it works now and I'll have an extra 24-20 adapter if I need it.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
LeeJend said:
Don't you just hate that when you miss soemthing obvious? I do it all the time, but then I'm old and senile...

;)

:laugh:

Now I feel old and senile ... Gotta go chase some skateboard punks off my lawn. Crazy kids!

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
LOL - take your adapter to the trading post or the folding rig comp! Seriously man the lesson here has nothing to do with being old and senile.... you were young and too impulsive to wait for the answer (which was right in front of your nose all the time!)... so next time post here, if you need to, but then cool your heels and let us save you a few bucks and a lot of your time!

hehe :p :D ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies