Private Messages

DeeBeeS

OSNN Addict
I have just received a private message from a person who appears to be a non member of the forum, is this allowed? With all the scams happening these days I am a bit wary of replying.

David

As I understand it, they "non-member" title is when someone has registered, confirmed their address but not yet posted. If that is their status and they sent you a PM, I would assume it is spam. What is the content?

From your personal side, obviously you are not inclined to reply to the PM if you don't feel comfortable. The only settings you can configure is overall on/off of receiving PMs - there is no spam control or filtering there ASFAIK.

Forward it to a team member, if we determine it's spam we can ban the member

It is currently allowed, maybe something I should restrict.
Will also allow them to post in this forum if they can't already as sometimes there are justified problems.

Good points, could have been someone looking for legit help but couldn't figure out why their post(s) weren't showing up.

Can you post the PM here or send to one of us?

Thank you for quick response, I don't know if the message is spam or not. It is from someone who uses the user name of Tomatoe, there is nothing in the message that appears personal and I can't see why he could not have put it in my post which was the Drivers section and was about upgrading drivers for a 56k modem. The following is a copy of the message:

Hi

My apologies for approaching you like this but did you ever get a resolution to your DC 009 problem, I have to say it must be the worst modem I have ever had in my life and seems to be impossible to install on an XP machine

Thank you for quick response, I don't know if the message is spam or not. It is from someone who uses the user name of Tomatoe, there is nothing in the message that appears personal and I can't see why he could not have put it in my post which was the Drivers section and was about upgrading drivers for a 56k modem. The following is a copy of the message:

Hi

My apologies for approaching you like this but did you ever get a resolution to your DC 009 problem, I have to say it must be the worst modem I have ever had in my life and seems to be impossible to install on an XP machine

Obviously not spam...

Good to know...

some people simply are not happy posting online...

Oh well...

Hi

That makes more sense now.

I would assume they found this thread -

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=89419

Which you started, and wanted to know if you ever got it resolved as it doesn't appear to have any viable solution posted in the thread.

Thanks for the information supplied and I completely agree with all your comments. I was concerned at first that a non member could send a private message but you have resolved this issue.

David

This same issue just happened to me. I assume the person is a spammer. Username = turing

All he said was Hi, how is it going? Honestly, most people don't do that and it definitely felt like spam!

I got one from "turing" too the other day. and there was a link to another site, that i didn't click, at the bottom of the message.

They could go into the user control panel/Edit Options and check the box that says Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators.

I received a message too. I haven't logged on for months so I guess it is spam!

This is the message:

Hello,
I'm new here and just wanted to say "hi"

How's it going?

---
turing

from the user turing.

Who the hell messages someone who hasn't been on for months?

Ironically I sent a private message to this user asking he/she to stop sending unsolicited private messages to users. I also issued a one day ban to assure that he/she gets the message.

If anyone receives an unsolicited private message from this user or any user in the future please let me know. Thank you.

Yeah, not sure what thats about, seeing some really strange behaviour on the net these days.

"People" signing up to forums making a single post like "hi I like forum.osnn.net, i found your site and I like it"

then nothing else, no homepage or sig spam, really not sure what to make of it.

The user was perm banned; I caught he/she sending more private messages.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back