Printing via FTP

P

Powerchordpunk

ok I already know how to send documents to be printed to my printer via ftp. The only problem is the documents come to the printer spooler viewer thing (where you see what items are printing and what are queued) and stay for only a second; reason being there are no pages to be printed, and the document name is "No Document Name." I have tried .txt files, .doc files, both with and without text inside. Can someone help or tell me who I should turn to next?

How do you print using FTP? Do you mean a Windows shared printer?

JJB6486

no. Using an ftp server (Serv-U) you allow access to a port (LPT1) so when documents are sent to that port (command line - put page.txt LPT1) it actually prints them out. Now you should be able to print to a printer from anywhere with an internet connection. Print Servers do the exact same thing, but have a hardware ftp server. software ftp is a lot cheaper.

Ok, are you sure you don't need special headers of any kind? I really don't think it will cope with .doc documents (unless the printer is really expensive). Have you tried .ps or .prn files (postscript)? .txt should work in guess.

Yeah I tried .prn files. They didn't have success.

I know one command line to print a txt file is

C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe /pt "C:\yourdocument.txt" "(Printer Name)" "LPT1:"

maybe there is a way to do that via ftp. Should I try using execute rights? Upload the file to like C:\filename.txt. That might work.

Originally posted by Powerchordpunk
I know one command line to print a txt file is

C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe /pt "C:\yourdocument.txt" "(Printer Name)" "LPT1:"

maybe there is a way to do that via ftp. Should I try using execute rights? Upload the file to like C:\filename.txt. That might work.

I'm pretty sure you can't run system command via FTP. That would be a serious security hole.

yeah i don't think i will. I hate it. the document actually reaches the print spooler, but it is just a nameless document with no pages.

... which means that data gets there but can't be understood.

Are you sure this can work? Isn't there more to the hardware print servers? I mean just because they use FTP as a front doesn't mean you can replace them by an FTP server.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back