printer sharing.

C

cam

okay.. first i'll explain my lan setup. in my room i have two PCs, both running windows xp pro. my main machine is a 1.3ghz duron, backup pc is a pII 350mhz. in the office, my parents each have a pc.. my mother has a pII 233 and my dad has what i think is a 300mhz laptop, although im not totally sure. both of theirs run 98. they share xerox document workcentre xd100 printer/copier over a switch box that they physically switch from A (mom's pc) to B (dad's) whenever they print.

yeah i know its antiquated, but its my parents.

anyway, my question is this, i tried to share it and it gives me errors about how the correct drivers arent installed, so where do i go from there? do i need to install the drivers on the xp machines or what?

cam

Yes, you need drivers locally on the computer even if you are printing to a server or LAN shared printer

JJB

In XP (Pro at least) you get the choice to install drivers for different OS:s if you want to share the printer on a LAN with not only XP clients. This means that a 98 client doesn't have to install special drivers. It can use the 98 drivers stored on the XP machine.

if the printers new enough to maybe have xp drivers on disk then when it asks for drivers when you try to connect then point it to disk, should find what it needs
or download the drivers from their site

thanks a lot fellas, this has been boggling me for a while =)

cam

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back