Printer Protection

G

gocoolean

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how I would be able to restrict access to my printer.

My roommates are always using my computer to print documents and it's costing me a pretty penny in ink. I'm often not home and they just use my printer like it was their own.

I would like to know if there is any way I could password protect it or do anything to restrict access to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you say your roommates are always using YOUR computer to print?? why not password your xp user? and disable the guest account and password the admin account as well

Apu

Disable File and Printer sharing. (Local Area Connection -> Right click -> Properties)

Originally posted by rjack22
How about hiding the power cord or cable?

Thanks for all your help ... this might be what I do ... either the cords or the ink cartridge.

I'm trying to minimize the changes I have to make and passwords would suck 'cause I'd have to enter it every time I start up ... this way I only have to insert the plug (or ink) only when I need to print which isn't too often.

Thanks again,

go to printer and fax in control panel > right click on your printer > go to properties > sharing and uncheck sharing this printer >apply > ok and thats it.

How smart are your roommates?

When I was at college I had a similar problem and solved it by disabling the printer in the device manager. They thought it was broken and all you have to do is reenable it when you want to print something.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back