Printer chaos!

I have a (small) corporate network with 10 XP computers and one Caldera Linux server. All the XP machines use two printers connected to a printer server on the network. They are both installed as Local Printers using not LPT1 but a TCP/IP port thingy. The problem is that all the XP machines find these printers on all the other XP machines and install them. This means that the Printer Dialog contains something like this:

Brother 1030
OkiPage
Brother 1030 on PC2
OkiPage on PC2
Brother 1030 on PC3
OkiPage on PC3
Brother 1030 on PC4
OkiPage on PC4
Brother 1030 on PC5
and so on...

You see the problem? How do I turn this "feature" off?

W

WiZZie

Simply disable printer sharing on all the machines ant that will fix it.
I´m at work right know and don´t have a XP machine here so I can´t guide you thru it but I´m pretty sure that if you right click on your printer and select properties and then sharing and deseltect sharing it will do the trick. And you have to do this on every machine....:(

If I have missguided you how to do it, give me a pm later on and I will get back to you when I´m home again.

JJB6486

Retired Mod
Political User
Open the Folder Options control panel, under the View tab, uncheck "Automatically search for network folders and printers." Its the first choice at the top

JJB6486

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dopexoity