Primary Master Hard Drive fail

kreation

OSNN Junior Addict
I turned my PC on this morning and the message "Primary Master Hard Drive Fail" appeared whilst booting up.

I have gone into the BIOS and although the drive is displayed it is reporting the wrong size.

I have tried to put in in another PC to slave it hoping I could retrieve some data from it but it won't show up at all.

The Drive spins ok and the arm also moves ok.

Same old story I have stuff on the drive that I really need, is there anyway I can get any data from this drive, or is it dead.

Does the fact that it spins ok mean anything.

Any help is appreciated as I am now stuck with no PC.

The Drive is a Fujitsu.

I know it's not what you want hear, but it sounds like the electronics on the drive are the culprit. We deal with quite a lot of hard drive problems where I work, and it sure sounds like yours went south.
Modern bios', even if they lose power, will not normally misreport a hard disks size, and I don't think a bad cable would, either. It is possible to get data off the hard drive, but it would require getting the pcb from the same model drive and hope that was the only problem(sounds like the drive is okay mechanically from what you described).
Keep in mind, this little trick doesn't always work, but we have had success with it in the past. The only other way is to pay someone an arm and a leg to get the data off.
Hope this helped!

I agree it sounds like an electronics problem. Just by chance when you put it in the other computer did you also reset the jumper for the slave setting?

Also, check and make sure the BIOS has the slave IDE port set to AUTO.

Originally posted by ThePman
I know it's not what you want hear, but it sounds like the electronics on the drive are the culprit. We deal with quite a lot of hard drive problems where I work, and it sure sounds like yours went south.
Modern bios', even if they lose power, will not normally misreport a hard disks size, and I don't think a bad cable would, either. It is possible to get data off the hard drive, but it would require getting the pcb from the same model drive and hope that was the only problem(sounds like the drive is okay mechanically from what you described).
Keep in mind, this little trick doesn't always work, but we have had success with it in the past. The only other way is to pay someone an arm and a leg to get the data off.
Hope this helped!

I do have an identical drive to this one, how would i swap the bits over?

I changed the Drive to slave when I tried it on the other machine.

BIOS has slave checked for auto.

Thanks.

There are normally some torx-type screws that hold the pcb onto the drive. Carefully unscrew them, and genly pry the pcb off the drive assembly, there is usually only a pin-and-socket type interface between them. KEEP IN MIND, if things go bad, and the mechanical part of the drive is causing the electronics to short, you will have two unusable drives.

Good luck!

Many thanks, I 'll give it a try.

If all fails I will buy another Hard Drive, any makes to avoid?

Any in particular to go for? IBM/Hitachi, Maxtor, WD, Seagate?

I can't say I recommend one brand over another. We buy and work with a large brand name PC at work, and it seems they put whatever drives are the deal of the week in them! :) Mostly WD, Seagate and Maxtor. None seem to be problematic. See what Best Buy has on sale, I'd say!

Best of luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back