Price drop in the 9800 pros anytime soon?

J

jkoXP

Does anyone know if the ATi 9800 pro will be dropping anytime soon?

The prices were supposed to have dropped as wholesalers started to get their hands on them, but from what I've seen they've only gone up. With super-apps like Half-Life 2 and Halo on the horizon, they seem to be bringing up price to meet demand because people aren't thinking about Christmas shopping yet. ATI will soon be cranking out more Radeons (like the highly-clocked 9800 XT which is just too cool for non-hyphenated adjectives!), and that will trigger a price drop.

In observing prices on Pricewatch.com, I've seen it go from $270 to $290 for OEM cards. This represents an unusally high market price point, and it's bound to slow sales. People don't generally buy $300 video cards for others as Christmas presents too often, so the principal buyers of the cards--the primary users purchasing for themselves--will most likely be tightening up their belts and buying less personal-use items. Low sales will cause products' prices to drop, so you can expect the lowest prices in mid-to-late October, but that hinges upon then the release date of the new Radeon 9800 XT (presumably the same day as HL2).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back