Prey

Man i just got done playing the demo.. I am very very impressed. Its like mixing Doom3 with Half life and F.E.A.R and then throw a little Clive Barkers Undying in it...... The gravity feature is so cool an idea.

Overall

Graphics- 4.5 out of 5 (i would of given it a 5 but im not a big fan of the shiny look)

Story- so far 4 out of 5 (just getting into it but seems to be pretty cool)

Game Play- 5 out of 5 (assuming you like blowing the sh*t out of stuff its great fun weapons in the demo are somewhat varried. The Leach gun is cool because you have to get diffrent functions for it by leaching wall adapters) (Ice/ plasma)

Only annoyance is the main charcter comments on stuff some times. Sometimes it adds to the game sometimes its annoying.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 126
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
I remember watching the trailer around e3 time. Loved the whole idea of going through some sort of doorway and coming out in a completely different environment, kinda hard to explain i guess.

How does the demo fare for story/puzzles vs shooting a lot?

EDIT: Trailers

puzzles seem move this item to take out this particular door type. The real puzzles involve the gravity and how you use it to get to diffrent place, mix that with portals and box doors and it can be rather confusing. I have to say the gravity shifts gave me a bit of a headache adjusting too them when they move you lol. But well worth it.

Overall

Graphics- 4.5 out of 5 (i would of given it a 5 but im not a big fan of the shiny look)

Story- so far 4 out of 5 (just getting into it but seems to be pretty cool)

Game Play- 5 out of 5 (assuming you like blowing the sh*t out of stuff its great fun weapons in the demo are somewhat varried. The Leach gun is cool because you have to get diffrent functions for it by leaching wall adapters) (Ice/ plasma)

Only annoyance is the main charcter comments on stuff some times. Sometimes it adds to the game sometimes its annoying.

Attachments

• shot00096.jpg
    shot00096.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 138
  • shot00098.jpg
    shot00098.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 106
  • shot00106.jpg
    shot00106.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 144
  • shot00109.jpg
    shot00109.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 101
  • shot00113.jpg
    shot00113.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Few more screen shots

Attachments

• shot00117.jpg
    shot00117.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 137
  • shot00118.jpg
    shot00118.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 118
Exams finish at the end of this week. Will definitely be giving this a go on the weekend.

I hear you on the character comments. I'm a big fan of the Gordon Freeman style character (ie. no speaking); occasionally they get it right (Loved Max Payne) but more often than not it just doesn't seem to work.

yah hehe the novelty of the character saying what the f is wearing off.. lol

Man im sad now i want this game.

Mid-July release date apparently, some sites say the 10th others say the 11th. Not too long to wait.

I thought it was friggin awesome! The "shiny" look you dislike, Im not sure I understand what you find to be shiny.

I mean, if its shiny, its because it is wet and organic which deserves the shiny look. I think they've done some major enhancements to the Doom3 engine and its come a long way.

Story was good and I never found the commentary to be obstrusive or detracting. This is a must-purchase for me I think...

Already pre-ordered, especially since amazon sent me an offer that essentially nets me £5 off the retail price.

The demo is pretty good. I'm not a great fan of the Doom 3 plastic interface engine (far too shiney and not natural looking enough to say something like farcry or the original unreal game) but if you like the idea of alien abduction, guns and gravity shifts then its worth picking up.

The storyline is the main draw, and the acting is well done and doesn't grate.

Personally I didn't mind the character comments but then again, once you have heard Duke Nukem a few times you tend to put up with most things, but I can see why it can be annoying to some people.

Overall the gravity shifting and the portals makes the game. Its the unique thing about the game and it works well.

Thought i would add some more cool screen shots

Attachments

• big2.jpg
    big2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 120
  • shoot myself.jpg
    shoot myself.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 171
  • portal pulling weapon.jpg
    portal pulling weapon.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 122
  • big....jpg
    big....jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 127
Are the portals clevery scripted teleports does anyone know? Or does the level unload behind you then load up the new "portaled" part of the level?

I'm intrigued as to how they did the portals.

Are the portals clevery scripted teleports does anyone know? Or does the level unload behind you then load up the new "portaled" part of the level?

The portals are brilliant.. I dont understand how they did them so seamlessly, there are no level loads between portals. There are "chapter" load screens but they are spaced very far apart unlike HL2....pauses every 3 minutes which would inevitably put you into a wall or a mass of enemies.

There are portal sequences where a bunch of them will just appear and you can see yourself like a mirror but you have to pick teh right one that may be on the wall with gravity facing up or down or sideways..its very tricky how they implement it.

semi-
I also like how a portal might be part of a box. One of the little dog-like creatures sees you through a box-portal but the box is tipped over. So the animal bumps the "portal" and the box falls over toward you allowing it to come through the portal at you. Clever.....

portals and gravity changes are a HUGE part of the gameplay and set it apart from all games we know today. not to say it wouldnt just be another FPS without them but it seriously makes it amazing.

The portals are brilliant.. I dont understand how they did them so seamlessly, there are no level loads between portals. There are "chapter" load screens but they are spaced very far apart unlike HL2....pauses every 3 minutes which would inevitably put you into a wall or a mass of enemies.

There are portal sequences where a bunch of them will just appear and you can see yourself like a mirror but you have to pick teh right one that may be on the wall with gravity facing up or down or sideways..its very tricky how they implement it.

semi-
I also like how a portal might be part of a box. One of the little dog-like creatures sees you through a box-portal but the box is tipped over. So the animal bumps the "portal" and the box falls over toward you allowing it to come through the portal at you. Clever.....

portals and gravity changes are a HUGE part of the gameplay and set it apart from all games we know today. not to say it wouldnt just be another FPS without them but it seriously makes it amazing.

I agree totally the dimension that the gravity shifts and portals add to the game is so cool. In a lot of instances you do stuff on both the top and ceiling of a area. It gives a great suprise feel to combat too.

check out the screen shot in post #11. If i were to move back and forth you see it in that portal if i shoot that person i die since that person is me. lol

Venom, what resolution are you playing at/settings are you playing at?

I play at 1600x1200 with settings on HIGH and its comfortable and doesnt dip below 30 fps very often unless there are a lot of enemies on screen. All with the setup in my sig.

The resoultion is stated in the screen shot everything else is high and or turned up as hard as it can go. No sure about FPS but i dont studder at all even in firefights. I will play again with the resoultion at 1600 x 1200 later tonight see if anything changes.

Here are some 1600x1200 res screen shots of new stuff.

Attachments

• 1600x1200 1.jpg
    1600x1200 1.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 1600x1200 2.jpg
    1600x1200 2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 1600x1200 3.jpg
    1600x1200 3.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 1600x1200 4.jpg
    1600x1200 4.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 1600x1200 5.jpg
    1600x1200 5.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Here are another 5. 1600x1200

I have now played the demo through 5 times.. lol this game is fantastic.

Attachments

• 1600x1200 6.jpg
    1600x1200 6.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 1600x1200 7.jpg
    1600x1200 7.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 129
  • 1600x1200 8.jpg
    1600x1200 8.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 118
  • 1600x1200 9.jpg
    1600x1200 9.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 1600x1200 10.jpg
    1600x1200 10.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 132
Here is a Story overview of the game from a wiki it contains spoilers to the demo but is a good read for back story that wasent very transparent in the game.

The story focuses on Tommy, a garage mechanic living on a Native American reservation in Oklahoma. At the beginning of the game, Tommy is in a bar owned by his girlfriend, Jen. After an unfortunate bar fight, the bar is lifted up by a gravitational force, as various items are sucked from their stationary positions into a green light above. Tommy, Jen and a tribe elder are transported into shuttlecraft to be transported back to the sphere. After docking, all three, along with countless other captives, are dragged through the upper levels of the sphere and Tommy is freed in an explosion set off by a stranger who, despite being cybernetic like most of the sphere's denizens, appears to be working against it rather than for it.

The Sphere

The Sphere is an organic, Texas-sized alien ship similar in shape to a Dyson sphere (though many orders of magnitude smaller). It has a small, concentrated sun at its core, which is used to support itself and all life inside it. The origin of the Sphere is unclear, but its main goal is to maintain itself. It travels the galaxy searching for various alien races to maintain it, like white blood cells in a body. It also uses these races as food to provide much needed extra energy to sustain the Sphere and its sun. The Sphere is fused with cybernetic enhancements, and has the power to manipulate gravity inside of itself. Various walkways allow the occupants to walk on walls and ceilings. Switches that change the direction of gravity are present, causing the floor to become the ceiling. The Sphere also has the ablility to produce portals to other sections at will. This implies that the Sphere is in a constant state of flux, existing in multiple dimensions at once. These portals allow occupants to move much faster around the Sphere and fufill their duties more efficiently.
The Sphere divides the multiple races into a few categories. Workers are employed as slaves for all purposes to maintain the Sphere. They have the least freedom and are underlings to all other catorgories. Workers are the least dangerous but are prone to attacking if confronted by a hostile visitor. Most of the workers want to get off and destroy the Sphere, but have abandoned these hopes long ago. Workers are also prone to experimentation by the scientists. Scientists are intelligent races employed on the Sphere to research technologies that help extend the reach, influence, power, and life of the Sphere. Scientists experiment on other races that are deemed to have potential for experimentation. These experiments result in horrible mutated creatures who are designed to help and succeed the guards. The Sphere's experiments are similar to the Strogg of the Quake series, as they do anything to ensure combat efficiency, which results in cruel and inhumane creatures that lurk in the corridors of the Sphere. The guards are strong and efficient races that enforce the Sphere's rules like a police force. The guards are often stronger than the workers but less intelligent than scientists. The guards will mercilessly kill anyone who resists the commands of the Sphere, including Tommy. The guards are given more leeway than the workers as they are more important and influential. The only real motivation of the guard races is to keep a higher authority in the Sphere and keep themselves from dying a painful death in experimentation. Workers who fail to comply with the guards are given as food to the Sphere. Multiple species may be consumed as more energy for the Sphere.

The story also explains the sphere..(below). It has a freaking sun in it working on Dyson sphere theory.

Attachments

• The_sphere.jpg
    The_sphere.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back