pretty kool update notice

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
I guess everyone knows I've been having some serious issues with vista, and while it's been better it still freezes up and blue screens on me

check out this pop up from microsift where they blame themselves...made me chuckle, the bold is mine;

Follow these steps to solve the problem with Windows Vista

This problem was caused by Windows Vista, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.

A solution is available that will solve this problem.

the kb info is pretty sweeping in scope, claiming longer battery life, quicker start ups and more stable vista

all of that and the download took less then a minute!

hard to believe such a small download is gonna solve all these issues but there it is, and I'll let everyone know if I get any blue screens after the update

here's the change log;

• It extends the battery life for mobile devices.
• It improves the stability of portable computers and of desktop computers that use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
• It improves the reliability of Windows Vista when you open the menu of a startup application.
• It improves the stability of wireless network services.
• It shortens the startup time of Windows Vista by using a better timing structure.
• It shortens the recovery time after Windows Vista experiences a period of inactivity.
• It shortens the recovery time when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
• It improves the stability of Windows PowerShell.

I'd like to know the KB number. Thanks.

fixed a double "i" in title

Hey perris.. what was the KB article number?

edit: never mind, found it myself here

10/1, but not delivered via Automatic Updates. Interesting.

If you are on the 2008 beta there were 3 patches we given in the last QFE update this was one of them - they aren't released at the same time as the security updates.

If you are on the 2008 beta there were 3 patches we given in the last QFE update this was one of them - they aren't released at the same time as the security updates.
I'm assuming from this update that laptops in general were having serious issues with vista as this update seems to address everything I mentioned in my first post

I think Nick White posted on this recently - it is basically improvements that will make their way into SP1, but have been released early much like the previous patches from QFE that leaked.

Interesting stuff. I installed it.

Funny, I just downloaded it on my XP machine and I passed the genuine advantage check....

Not that my XP is not genuine, but I expected it to fail because it is a Vista update...

You can download updates for any OS as long as the OS you are using passes.

BTW there are two more interesting updates for Vista:

Performance update Windows6.0-KB938979-x86 and
Stability update Windows6.0-KB938194-x86

BTW there are two more interesting updates for Vista:

Performance update Windows6.0-KB938979-x86 and
Stability update Windows6.0-KB938194-x86
Those were released in August and are available through Automatic Updates.

Crazy, so even when I use genuine win98 I could d/l updates for a pirated vista?
No, Genuine Advantage doesn't exist for 98SE. Only Windows that have Genuine Advantage available (XP, 2003, Vista).

so I said I would get back when I found out if the fix worked

it did nothing for me, blue screened already

Its kind of surprising that Vista would be that unstable. Is it possible to test the memory and such of your machine. The BSoD's give anything away?

Its kind of surprising that Vista would be that unstable. Is it possible to test the memory and such of your machine. The BSoD's give anything away?
haven't tested the memory and I haven't read the dumpfile but the logs show that microsoft recognizes the problem and is working on it

something with .net

[edit]

just ran the vista performance app, my memory is rated 5.1 which is pretty high on a laptop, the application tests operations per second, I have no idea how valid or the depth of scope these results indicate

I diabled the media center from start up, at least that should speed boot time

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back