Prefetch Tweak?

T

Temperal

I grabbed this tweak from another thread hoping for a response if at all possible.

The post below lists 0, 1, 2, or 3 as options for the prefetch value. When I looked at my current registry value it is set to 5?? Anyone know why this may be or if it is OK? Should I set it to 3 or does it make a difference? Thanks in advance...

Temperal

hello, everyone... I've got a few tweaks and info to add to this great thread...

1. link to Laurens "Prefetcher"-tweak

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an unique technique for XP, which could improve the performance significantly by tweaking the prefetcher. Recommended hardware: PIII 800 or higher, 512M RAM or more.

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Cur

rentControlSet\Control\Session

Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\

EnablePrefetcher];
3. Set the value to either 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both ("3" is recommended).
4. reboot.

It will decrease the boot time but double and increase the performance of your XP. Try it!

Any value other than 1-2-3 will disable prefetch

definitely set it to 3

:)

I've just tried it and my comp shuts down and starts up alot quicker. The speed is about the same.

BTW my current registry value it is set to 3 was 5

Cool

it is quicker :)

Strange how the values are set to 5

I've never come across it before ??????

Perhaps a tweaking program has changed the settings ????

:confused:

Thanks for the info, I'll change it to 3 now...

Temperal

What programs do you guys have in common?!?

I just checked my registry settings on 3 of my XP machines and they are all 3...

The default value is 3. There was however a tweak around on the net for a while recommending to set it to 5, which actually disables prefetch. Perhaps some makers of tweaking utilities included this wrong information in their programs. If you want prefetch make also sure that taskscheduler service is running, it depends on it.

How do you make sure task scheduler is working again? Thanks

Temperal

Some time back there was an erroneous "tweak" circulating the web that suggested changing the prefetch registry setting to "5". The only settings the system will recognize are:

0 = disabled
1 = application launch cache
2 = boot launch cache
3 = both

anything else doesn't work.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back