PProblem with Windows UpDate

amic

OSNN Junior Addict
I'VE USED THE UPDATING SITE - PROBLEMS FREE - UNTIL April 7 - every thing worked well & smooth..

I tried to log to-day & ALL OF A SUDDEN !!! WAS ASKED TO :
" install " window update control v4 "

I ACCEPTED & FAILED TWICE GETTING
" WINDOW UPDATE ERROR " SCREEN

MY SECURITY ( I.E 6 ) IS SET TO "MEDIUM LOW " & I'M NOT USING ANY FIRE BALL

what can be done to fix this problem ???

Wasn't that a James Bond movie? Oh no - sorry. That was Thunderwall.

Anyway, my guess is that it's just an intermittent error. If I were you I'd keep trying - if it was working before it will probably update eventually....especially since I haven't seen any other complaints about this in the past week.

ADDITIONAL INFO FROM UPDATE SITE :
THE ERROR CODE IS : (0x3)

Microsoft will put a fix out soon (hopefully lol), I've seen this problem at many sites.

oops - sorry, I haven't seen it anywhere and the update installed easily on my system the other day.

to ALLAN -re : no compains last week "
I'VE VISITED MICROSOFT PUBLIC HELP FORUM - THERER ARE ABOUT 15 SIMILAR COMPLAINS SINCE Apr 7...!!!

ANY PRACTICAL SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM ????

I work tech support for Microsoft dealing with exclusively Windows XP Home and Pro and I swear sometimes I think they put out these windows updates to keep me in business. LOL.
Seriously i have noticed a few calls come in where people's computers were running fine until the downloaded updates.

wow, a real, live, microsoft techie guy:D ...stick around bro...i wanna talk to you lol

Windows update

Same error here. Since 4/7 no longer works. Same error message, i.e. 0x3

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
wow, a real, live, microsoft techie guy:D ...stick around bro...i wanna talk to you lol

I've been lurking forever but since I got this job it is amazing the resources I find here as opposed to using the Knowledge Base or calling a MS mentor

I too had this problem on a clients machine
Luckily i save all my windows updates so i updated the machine using them
the few that i didnt have, specific driver updates for that machine i needed of windows update
lsat night, i went there, even though i had been to windows update previously, it asked to have that v4 thing downloaded.

i did but it would just stall

works now though

Oooooo...Cyberphox....I second that motion to stick around. Nice to meet you.

PROBLEMS WITH WINDOWS UPDATE

ACCORDING TO " WINDOWS UPDATE.LOG " ( IN X:\WINDOWS DIRECTORY ) MY TO-DAY'S PROBLEMS ARE

QUOTE :

2002-04-13 16:01:20 Success IUCTL Shutting down
2002-04-13 16:01:22 Success IUCTL Starting
2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL Downloaded iuident.cab from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v4/iuident.cab
2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL IUEngine on Server is newer version (5.4.2600.40)
2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL Checking to see if new version of Windows Update software available
2002-04-13 16:01:32 Success IUCTL IUCtl needs update to 5.4.2600.40
2002-04-13 16:16:51 Success IUCTL Shutting down
2002-04-13 17:35:30 Success IUCTL Starting
2002-04-13 17:35:30 Success IUCTL Shutting down
2002-04-13 17:35:31 Success IUCTL Starting
2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL Downloaded iuident.cab from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v4/iuident.cab
2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL IUEngine on Server is newer version (5.4.2600.40)
2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL Checking to see if new version of Windows Update software available
2002-04-13 17:35:33 Success IUCTL IUCtl needs update to 5.4.2600.40
2002-04-13 18:38:54 Success IUCTL Shutting down

UNQUOTE

AS A MATTER OF FACT MY " IUIDENT.TXT " IN THE :

G:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4 FOLDER SHOWS v 5.4.2600.40

BUT !!!!

THE ACTIVE X CONTROL - ON WHICH THE WIN UPDATE DEPENDS i.e " update class "
HAS THE " OLD VERSION " i.e 5.4.2600.15 I ( IN SPITE OF LOGGING TO THE UPDATE SITE
WITHOUT ANY \V4 FOLDER ....( I'VE DELETED IT MANUALLY " )

THE ABOVE ACTIVE X " UPDATE CLASS " HAVE DEPENDENCY TO 3 FILES :

IUCTL.DLL ; IUCTL.INF & IUENGINE.DLL ALL OF WHICH ARE STILL !!!!
THE 5.4.2600.15

IN OTHER WORDS THE MS' UPDATING SITE FAILED \ DID'T MANAGE TO UPGRADE MY
SYSTEMS ITEMS TO THE NEW XXXXX .40

ANY IDEAS HOW TO PROCEED FROM HERE ???? !!!!!!

Yes I was having those problems too and it was piss** me off it all started with 2 updates that would not install and then the famous new scaning engine crap, I decieded it was time for a cleanup anyways so I saved all my good stuff and formatted and reinstalled from scratch ( i was bored) lol anyhow after I did that I went back and everything worked fine ..... plus I really wanted to see if there was any change clean install with my new video card and new sound card .....I must have tried 30 times to install the updates trying everything I could think off .....now its all working great .......

Windows update solved

Did copy those 2 files you mentioned IUCTL.DLL ; IUENGINE.DLL from a good machine (version 5.4.2600.40) into c:\windows\sytems32 and also replaced IUIDENT.TXT " IN THE c:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4 FOLDER with v 5.4.2600.40 and now it works.

OLDBRIDGE's message -seems to be -for time being - the only solution .. !!!

can somebody help in prviding inf
WHERE CAN I GET / DOWNLOAD THESE FILES ????

thanks

to OLDBRIDGE's message :

it worked as well for me - visited & used the site to-day ...

THANKS FOR INPUT /INFO

If you have some of the ActiveX badly installed, read this for the way to fix it. http://corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/help.htm#Corruptsitecontrols

It pertains to Windows 2000, and does not necessarily have all of the items in XP, but I know it works for sure.

Also make sure you don't run any web-proxy, like The Proxomitron or ZoneAlarm's ad-blocking proxy, etc. Oterwise say bye bye to windowsupdate :)

If you need to dl the files to install them manually later, use this link
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp?corporate=true ; although you will still need the activeX applet working for it.

Windows Update

Every time I go to the update page

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I am told "ADMINISTRATORS ONLY" I am logged in as Administrator. I tried run as... administrator, I tried logging into another account with administrator rights. Still no luck.

I have access to all administrative tools in XP (Pro) except the right to update.

This is a new computer and I want to apply all the critical updates (15 or so?)

Does anybody know why this happens and what to do to cure it?

Thanks for any help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back