Powersupply Blew Up

Glad to hear there was no collateral damage BMAN. If you have the time Call Enermax and send that failed unit in to Enermax. Antec was really hot to get their hands on an Antec that died when a buddy plugged his floppy drive in backwards. At the least you should get a replacement so you have a spare on hand for testing.

Antec Truepower and Enermax models always met or exceeded nameplate ratings in the benchmarks I've seen.

Maybe they fixed the designs then. Hexus.net had an article a while back where they plugged PSU's into psu testing devices and showed antec and enermax cutting out before the rated max load was reached.

I'll dig out the link if I can and let you decide for yourself.

Thanks. The tests I saw were probably older than yours.

Remember Smartpower and Neo suck. I only recommend the Truepower line.

Okay here's one link http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=1359&page=1

I'm pretty certain they did another I'll keep looking.

Edit: THG did the other PSU testing but the only article I can find about antec mentions that ripple was out of ATX spec so perhaps it was some other brand and not antec that was not supplying what it claimed it could.

Last edited:
Has anyone hear heard of seasonic? I was at the place and the guy said the top 3 are , 1.seasonic, 2.enermax, 3.antec

i never heard of seasonic till now, so thats why i didn't go with them.

I had my computer in storage for about 2 years, had taken it out once about a year ago and set it up and used it, worked fine. I recently took it out and set it up at my GF's apt and nothing, would power up at all. It was an Enermax 550W (i think) Model number EG701AX-VE(W). I am really disapointed in Enermax. I bought a new Antec Trio 430W and is working fine.

I had my computer in storage for about 2 years, had taken it out once about a year ago and set it up and used it, worked fine. I recently took it out and set it up at my GF's apt and nothing, would power up at all. It was an Enermax 550W (i think) Model number EG701AX-VE(W). I am really disapointed in Enermax. I bought a new Antec Trio 430W and is working fine.

Aluminum electrolytic capacitors used in consumer electronics deform over time resulting in what looks like a short circuit when re-powered for the first time. They must have a low voltage applied for a period of time after long term storage to reform the electrolyte. This is the reason they are banned in military equipment.

Not much you can do to re-form them in commercial equipment. Best bet is to periodically turn on equipment you have not used for a while. Every 3-6 months is best. How long a given capacitor will last depends on the manufacturers chemistry and processes.

well dood if you need a great ps ..i gots a 650w modular mushkin for sale.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back