Powerline vs Wireless N

Powerline HD vs Wireless N

• Powerline HD (up 200Mbps supposedly)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Wireless N (up 270Mbps supposedly)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I purchased the Netgear version over lunch.

Connected and just from the Xbox download I completed, it is a heck of a lot faster than my wireless 108Mbps.

I am about to watch my blu-ray rip of Ghost in the Shell, will be a true test I believe :)

-edit-

Ok, so on the signal test previously, I was at the mid point (about 3 or 4 bars from HDTV) using my wireless signal.

Now, I am 1 bar off of maximum which means I can now transmit and view high-def content.

Last edited:
Wifi and a aluminum dish.

Mwaha? http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

I have done this to manage a signal in a trailer park during a install, old people bought a duplex trailer (yeah, a doublewide duplex) and had net on one end and wanted secure wifi instead of running a cable. 15 minutes and only they had access verified with a laptop walking around outside. Plus they got to borrow two other networks.

I purchased the Netgear version over lunch.

Connected and just from the Xbox download I completed, it is a heck of a lot faster than my wireless 108Mbps.

I am about to watch my blu-ray rip of Ghost in the Shell, will be a true test I believe :)

-edit-

Ok, so on the signal test previously, I was at the mid point (about 3 or 4 bars from HDTV) using my wireless signal.

Now, I am 1 bar off of maximum which means I can now transmit and view high-def content.

So you are liking the powerline option? How much did you pay for the NetGear?

They had an open box for about 129. Figured that the fact I can attach a cheap router or 4-port setup to it makes it pretty worth it since those items are cheap.

That's a good deal for the HD adapters. I'm looking at getting a pair of regular ones for around $100.

Make sure you get the 200Mbps versions.

There are many others out there but I figured these were good based on reviews.

Completely plug and play.

Nice one Sazar! Thank you. Did you try skipping through video you was streaming that's when mine fell over, (strength was always halfway I think on mine).
Now a couple of other questions......
Which powerline HD product did you go for? Looking at the netgear website there are two versions one of which has passthrough (for connecting other electrical items into it).
Als owith powerline do you always need to buy the adpaters in pairs? or if I got 3, 1 in 2 out would that work?

Indy, I think that will work.

The one I have is their current highest end 200Mbps part, 101b or x or something.

You can get it in a pair or split it up if you want. I would suggest if you are using it in 2 locations to have the master and the slave and connect a hub to the slave so you get extra ports. This will likely split up the signal but still will yield pretty good performance.

Before, I used to drop signal whenever I backed out of live TV, recordings, music or movies to the menu interface for Windows Media Center. Now it works, but I have to get a proper remote I think.

Power in this house sucks, so sadly they don't work very quickly here ... also a pain as wireless sucks between upstairs and downstairs too :s

apparently the D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N router is now on sale as part of Newegg's Best Sellers promotion for $99 with promo code. you should have recieved the message if you are subscribed to their newsletter.

apparently the D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N router is now on sale as part of Newegg's Best Sellers promotion for $99 with promo code. you should have recieved the message if you are subscribed to their newsletter.

Shame offers like that are no good to us on the over side of the pond :p damn your cheap prices!

i would wait till wireless N becomes a standard, as a draft anything can be changed

yeah.... but i don't think anything THAT major will change. Hell.... think they now even kinda refer to it as the Draft-N standard.

Power in this house sucks, so sadly they don't work very quickly here ...

Have you actually tried one of the newer models? They have made big improvements in the last year or so. If the house wiring is old it's still just a long string of copper (unless you got stuck in one of those houses where the idiots used alkuminum). It can't have that much of an effect on the power line modems.

Note: If the wiring is that bad you should really do some work on it. Loose connections can lead to fires. Tighten screw terminals in the breaker (or fuse) box, tighen screws where the wires connect to the outlets, buy a $3 outlet tester to find any broken grounds or reversed neutrals (they can kill you if left unrepaired), tighten any wire nuts on spilecs. Any idiot can do this work. Umm, remember to turn the power off first and check each outlet with a meter.

Warning. If the wiring is aluminum leave it alone. The stuff is dangerous!

SAZAR - Tried the outside outlet checks yet?

Nope, not the outside yet because I don't have any items I want to connect out there, don't have long enough cables back in to my equipment and it's really windy right now :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back