Powering a second HDD led

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all.
Is there a simple way of powering a second HDD activity led?? The Header on the motherboard only supplies 5V and little current so alone is not enough to power two. Using a relay is not really an option also cause the clicking I think would drive me insane :) The only way I have thought of so far is to cut up a hdd removable caddie, but that would be a lot of junk in my case. Is there an easier way??

The relay is mechanical so that
1. as you say, would drive you crazy and
2. is too slow.

I suggest you use a transistor, the electrical form of relay. I'm not sure at the moment if it's an NPN or PNP you want, but it's one of them.
Code:
             Power for LED(s)
                   |
                   _
           LED(s)  V
                  ---
       (Collector) |
                   |
                 |/
Mobo 5V (Base) --|
                 |\
                   |
         GND (Emitter)
You'll probably have to throw in a resistor or two as well (one on the base and maybe one on the LEDs).

Stupid me i forgot all about transistors! Thanks Zedric I am getting sorted with them now and gonna use the 5volt feed off the psu to power them. Thanks again

:D

Ok, it's driving me nuts, I have to ask.

Why do you want a second HD LED? Mod appearance?

any easy way to make an led brighter? it would involve more voltage, right? which would shorten it's life considerably, i'm sure...

maybe have to replace the led..?

Tlaking about HDD activity lights.

I have got a promise Ultra DMA133 card with 2 hard disks attached, but the red HDD light in my case doesn't come on as it is connected to the motherboard. Can this be connected to the card so that it shows the disk activity?

Originally posted by rushm001
Tlaking about HDD activity lights.

I have got a promise Ultra DMA133 card with 2 hard disks attached, but the red HDD light in my case doesn't come on as it is connected to the motherboard. Can this be connected to the card so that it shows the disk activity?
Yes, if you have activity indicator pins on the controller card.

If not there is (I think) a pin on the IDE cable that is used for activity LED. That might need to use the above scheme to power a LED.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Ok, it's driving me nuts, I have to ask.

Why do you want a second HD LED? Mod appearance?

Its so i can see the thing the design of my case (shortly to be posted once i have finished modding), is so the led lights up a semi circular disk. Athlough it dont have enough guts to do this, to get around it i am using 2 super bright purple leds which are a notiable improvement.

rushm001 have you worked out the led connections on your controller card yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back