Power Supply / UPS Guide

USB nice, I guess that gives alot more detail than a serial connection, dumb or otherwise.

The UPS' I use at work are connected to the network so use WOL to power up again after main power is restored. Works well, although would be nice if I could tell the UPS to turn a few servers on before others, i.e. get the DC back up before the exchange... hehe

Life ranges from 10 mins (so really they just act as voltage buffers most the time and will give a graceful shutdown/powerup) but others last over 2 hours which is useful when a little electric work needs to be done.

LeeJend,

That is a very good post and should be very helpful to a lot of people. I have one small suggestion though.

" 3) 12V1 of 17A or more, 12V2 of 18A or more."

In addition to the above, list the combined amps of 12V1 and 12V2. I've seen a few PSU's that make great claims for each of the 12V lines but don't make the grade when combined. i.e. 20 amps on 12V1 and 20 amps on 12V2, but only 28 amps combined (just numbers for example, nothing specific). Those PSU's aren't very good. Here are the actual numbers off of an Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX that I have: 12V1 18 amps, 12V2 18 amps, 35 amps combined. That's a so called 600 amp PSU and I consider those numbers just decent. Nothing great. The later model of that PSU is rated at: 12V1 22 amps, 12V2 22 amps, 35 amps combined. What's up with that?!?!

The above examples are why I now buy nothing but PC Power & Cooling power supplies. PC P&C rates their PSU's at 50 degrees C instead of the more common method of rating at 25 degrees C. When the PSU is under load and hot, the PC P&C PSU will be giving rated power. The PSU's rated at lower temps probably won't be giving rated power when under load and running hotter than 25 degrees C (77 degress F).

I have two APC UPS' and I love em.

Not sure how you can love something that basically does nothing until something bad happens. I think I just want protection. I don't need to save work and power outs are rare. I don't want to spend a lot of money for a battery unless it is necessary as a power filter. What are your opinions?

There are some very expensive surge protectors. This one is the same price range of the Ultra UPS: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=763444&CatId=0

Ok well, I'll go ask elsewhere because this should be a priority for me to order. I'm running straight off the wall.

I would recommend a reputable brand, such as APC, Belkin, or Tripp Lite.

I have never heard of the brand you have posted; that doesn’t mean it isn’t any good.

I have a Tripp Lite SmartPRO UPS 1000LCD (SMART1000LCD). It has been VERY good to me and provides ample uptime.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=3071

Thanks matt but that's not what I'm asking and $200 is a lot to spend for a UPS/ home computer.

I've been thinking instead of getting another cheap UPS would it be better to get a quality surge protector?. I don't feel the need to save my work if there is a power outage and power outages are rare as it is. What do you think of these to possibilities?

Same price -

Surge 2850 Joules: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...444&CatId=0

Ups 1065 Joules: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;Sku=ULT31502

Basically as per my needs - ups vs surge - should I think better protection or the need to shut down my computer normally?

Last edited:
Firstly, $126 at TigerDirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1543959&CatId=234

Secondly, it depends on your needs. If you want uptime and automatic shutdown when the power goes out then obviously you want an UPS. If you don't need nor want either of those then go with a good surge protector and save yourself some money.

Lastly, after the box of the Ultra unit I am almost certain that Best Buy sells them so it must be a fairly good brand.

madmatt, Ultra http://www.ultraproducts.com/ is a large computer parts distributer. They became famous (IMO) with their modular powersupply with the cables that plug into the supply as you need them. I'm still using their first 500 watt model.

the UPS you linked to is rated at 480 Joules for $126

I link to one UPS that is rated at 1065 Joules for $60

And the surge protector at 2850 Joules for $60

But my question is: How important (as far as it affects hardware) is it to shut down the computer normally VS surge protection?

That would be a more precise question than my former three:

Would an expensive surge protector be better?

I think I just want protection. I don't need to save work and power outs are rare. I don't want to spend a lot of money for a battery unless it is necessary as a power filter. What are your opinions?

instead of getting another cheap UPS would it be better to get a quality surge protector?

Last edited:
It's not very good for Windows just to have the plug pulled. It could lead to corruption.

ok so I will order the $60 UPS unless corruption can easily be remedied by my image of windows, repair, or scannow. I take it that sudden voltage loss is not hard on equipment? or rather the powersupply

Also I believe that most UPS' have line conditioning. If the voltage drops of goes over a certain value the UPS kicks in.

what exactly makes this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1543959&CatId=234

Watts Learn More 500 Watt

Volt Amps 1000 VA

Surge Energy Capacity Learn More 480 Joules

Connected Equipment Warranty Learn More $200,000

Outlets 8

Data Line Protection Learn More Coaxial

Worth twice as much of this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=770423&Sku=ULT31502

Watts Learn More 600 Watt

Volt Amps 1000 VA

Surge Energy Capacity Learn More 1065 Joules

Connected Equipment Warranty Learn More $125,000

Outlets 4 Nema 5-15R Outlets

Data Line Protection Learn More RJ11 Modem & RJ45 Network

A. The LCD
B. The warranty
C. The brand/company

ok thanks

A. Don't need
B. My computer isn't even worth that
C. Labels are expensive
D. The cheaper one offers greater surge protection

A. It is annoying at night. =)
B. Mine either.
C. Everything is expensive these days.

D. I'm actually surprised at the number, I didn't realize it was that low until you pointed it out. There must be a reason for Tripp Lite's use but I'm not an electrician so I wouldn't know.

I think I'll shop around at this review does not sound good:

Works but case gets very hot. According to Tripp, unit uses about 1A of power in standby mode. Since the batteries are charged most of the time, the power is coverted to heat. The case gets very warm and in since I have mine in an entertainment cabinet, it just because a 120 watt heating element. I have several UPS units and this is the only one which gets hot. Its a poor design to waste 120 watts of power 24/7. It only takes a couple watts to trickle charge the batteries. Tripp offered to replace it but stated the new one would have the same issue. I would not have purchased this if I knew it put out 100 plus watts of heat 24/7

And the Ultra does not state how much time the computer operates without ac.

I can drive myself crazy shopping, looking at specs. Does anyone know of a review comparison of UPS in the $100+ range?

Last edited:
Which unit is the review for?

Tripp - the one you linked to. Matt, the 9th word of the review says "Tripp" did you miss it?

I now find this:

Like many people I was always under the assumption that anti-surge would protect me if hit. A recent trip to my local computer store soon convinced me that this is not the case. After a big strike the "bolt" came in through the phone lines and possibly the earth. Everyone visiting the store thought that they were safe using anti-suge, but dead components lay scattered around the store, mostly modems, but a few CPU's and motherboards. Why risk damaging your equipment or even worse your heath by leaving electrical gear left plugged in. Don't think that just because the sky clears up its safe, it is thought lightning can strike up to 15 miles from a cloud

So maybe it just doesn't matter. If there is a lightning storm unplug your computer. Surge protection is only for spikes/dirty power from other appliances messing up your house current.

A lightning strike can deliver ten million joules.
so why don't they just fuse or circuit break it? Is it not quick enough to cut power to your computer?

Interesting:

I haven't tested this myself but supposedly tying overhand knots in your power cable will insulate your devices from lightning. Apparently having overhand knots causes the lightning to loop back on itself and it burns out the power cord, not the actual device itself. My tv's got overhand knots in it's power cord just incase.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back