Power supply problem HELP FAST!!!

Murlo26

OSNN Addict
Well i just assembled my computer and something went wrong. I turned it on, and everything would power up, fans would move for like half a sec then turn off. I didnt know what was wrong. I double checked everything, and everything appeared to be right, and i asked people what to check and i checked it all and double checked it. I then figured that my mobo, processor or power supply was bad. So i tested my mobo with another person's power supply and same thing, then i tested my psu on their mobo, and it worked fine. So i figured the mobo was the problem. But just to be safe i sent the processor and mobo back for new ones. I just recieved the new mobo and processor should be back by friday, or sat.
However, some new information came to light. I have the new K8N Neo4 platinum mobo from MSI, and apparently it needs an atx 2.0 power compliant source. I have the thermaltake W0014 480W source, which is not atx2.0 i believe. So does this sound like the problem, should i send my psu back and get one that is atx 2.0? Plz respond need help!!!!

This is a link to a new psu im thinking about getting...is it atx 2.0 compliant, i think it is but want to make sure. And just in case i am running the amd64 3200 processor. Thanks for any help..

Ya forgot the link.

But I found this. If this is the one you have.

http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs.php/masterid=2268516

Near the bottom of page it says this:
This Thermaltake PurePower Housing is designed for AMD K7 and Intel ATX +12V 1.1 and ATX 2.03 version(Fully Support Pentium 4). In additional to the Active PFC, Silent Purepower 480W power supply unit is also equipped with advanced Temperature Control Technology. This enables the power supply unit to operate at its maximum capability while keeping the noise level down to an impressive 17dBA during normal operation.

does this mean that my power supply already is a 2.0 compliant supply??

oh and sorry about double post didnt mean it, it was an accident that happend because i pushed stop on the browser to add the link...

well i just found out that link i had for the supply i was thinking is exactly the same one i have, just that tigerdirect says it is 2.0 compliant. So i dont know, what should i do?? anyone know what my problem is???help needed plz

Try out the new MoBo and CPU with yer PSU (if it is the one on the page I linked to, then it is 2.0 compliant) then post results.

Also make sure everything is plugged in tight. Yer memory, expansion cards and all power plugs. Make sure the power plugs are not backwards. They should only go on one way, but ya never know.

alright i will do that, hopefully everything will be solved when my new processor gets here. thanks for your help

Well i installed my new cpu and mobo, and the same **** happened. I talked to some people and they said that i dont have enough amps on my +12 V rail, and so i am sending my PSu back, and i orderd a new Antec Neopower, i was told this should have no problem powering my system. What do you all think? I turn my computer on, it shuts off after like half a second, sound like a power supply problem? ANother note, everything turned on fine before i put the cpu in, then when i put that in it wouldnt start up, and i know the cpu is good, because this is my second one, and the same **** happend with the other one, so that means that there just simply isnt enough power right? Let me know, thanks

Murlo26 said:
Well i installed my new cpu and mobo, and the same **** happened. I talked to some people and they said that i dont have enough amps on my +12 V rail, and so i am sending my PSu back, and i orderd a new Antec Neopower, i was told this should have no problem powering my system. What do you all think? I turn my computer on, it shuts off after like half a second, sound like a power supply problem? ANother note, everything turned on fine before i put the cpu in, then when i put that in it wouldnt start up, and i know the cpu is good, because this is my second one, and the same **** happend with the other one, so that means that there just simply isnt enough power right? Let me know, thanks

atx 2.0 has that redundant 4 pin power cable that runs from teh powersupply to the motherboard. the setting actually looks like the one you find on the side of the new pci express video cards. if the powersupply doesnt have that prong ... you need another powersupply.

Thats just my 2 cents. I found this out before installing the 4 pin atx2 powercable on the motherboard. Everything powered up for a few seconds and the fans even went but it wouldnt boot and soon shut down.

hope maybe that helps.

amps are only signifacant when actual computing is taking place ..like hardcore computing. I dont recall you saying what all you have hooked up either. Could be a number of things ... maybe a video card has a short.. maybe a ram module is bad.

Id be willing to be its taht 4 pin cable though.

Either that, or he has a ton of stuff on his 12v rail, I.E. fans etc, which are overdriving his 12V rail and killing the PSU because hes maxing it out... this is what I would do to make sure... disconnect everything but the Mobo and Cpu fan... boot to bios... if you get this far, it is most likely a PSU prob (doubtful but possible, I seen weirder)

Next only hook up what you need, HDD, and 1 fan should be all thats needed for this part...

try and boot up if it dont work, chances are it has something to do with mobo/PSU compatibility...

GL! Keep u sin the loop!

Hannibal!

trainmaster77 said:
atx 2.0 has that redundant 4 pin power cable that runs from teh powersupply to the motherboard. the setting actually looks like the one you find on the side of the new pci express video cards. if the powersupply doesnt have that prong ... you need another powersupply.

Thats just my 2 cents. I found this out before installing the 4 pin atx2 powercable on the motherboard. Everything powered up for a few seconds and the fans even went but it wouldnt boot and soon shut down.

hope maybe that helps.

amps are only signifacant when actual computing is taking place ..like hardcore computing. I dont recall you saying what all you have hooked up either. Could be a number of things ... maybe a video card has a short.. maybe a ram module is bad.

Id be willing to be its taht 4 pin cable though.

im not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about the 12V rail, i know i plugged that into the mobo, so im not sure what you mean, try and explain it better if you could, but i already ordered the Antec NeoPower, so power should not be an issue once i get that.

Murlo26 said:
im not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about the 12V rail, i know i plugged that into the mobo, so im not sure what you mean, try and explain it better if you could, but i already ordered the Antec NeoPower, so power should not be an issue once i get that.

look on your motherboard ... there will be a 4 pin female prong somewhere above or closely around your processor socket.

heres a picture of the male side of it

http://www.xpcgear.com/p412volt.html and i attached a picture of what i am talking about.

and also notice the 24pin main power connector.

Attachments

• msik8nneo4SLI_full.jpg
    msik8nneo4SLI_full.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 81
Ok thats what i figured u meant, yes i had that on my old power supply, and yes it was plugged in. I believe i said but might not of, before i plugged the cpu into the motherboard, everythign turned on and was running great, but when i plugged the cpu in, nothing, wouldnt turn on, so i came to the conclusion that i was running too many things off the 12 volt rail, and it wouldnt even start up. I ordered the Antec Neopower, which will have more than enough power. Do you guys think that the lack of amps on the 12 volt rail sounds like the problem from what i described?

Murlo26 said:
Ok thats what i figured u meant, yes i had that on my old power supply, and yes it was plugged in. I believe i said but might not of, before i plugged the cpu into the motherboard, everythign turned on and was running great, but when i plugged the cpu in, nothing, wouldnt turn on, so i came to the conclusion that i was running too many things off the 12 volt rail, and it wouldnt even start up. I ordered the Antec Neopower, which will have more than enough power. Do you guys think that the lack of amps on the 12 volt rail sounds like the problem from what i described?

Sounds like it .. im curious about something else .. how much **** is plugged into the particular circuit where your computer resides? The only reason i ask is after some thought about your problems .. where my computer WAS it was getting 11.77 volts and i went to a completely different circuit .. and now im at 12.10. I also know sometimes ...depending on the house and when it was built sometimes the grounding for certain circuits was different .. say and older part using different methods of wiring compared to modern methods ..ect. I know this sounds cheezy .. but did you try to plug your computer in say ... a different circuit on your house or maybe where your vacuum cleaner runs well?

I am just trying to help by elimating all other means of error. Before i moved this particular computer and even put on this APC voltage regulator ..when i throw the switch on the PS the lights dimmed.

Just a thought. Being i install hi end home electronics as a hobby i've run into this very problem time and time again ... being something so simple but often overlooked ya know.

its funny u should mension that, there is all sorts of **** plugged in, im talking like 20 different things, fridge, tv, two alarm clocks, two other extension cords, power strip, there is lots. I live in a dorm right now, college student, and we have lots of stuff to plug in, and its a little room, and we only have two outlets in the whole place, so i am forced to use that, but that is interesting, i will try to find a different spot to plug into to test. Do u think that could be the prob?

ps, my dorm building is downtown milwaukee and is pretty damn old too.

i tried plugging it into a different outlet, one on the wall actually and same result, so that wasnt the problem. I didnt think that would be the problem though, because i have everything grounded, nothing isnt, so it shouldve been getting a good amount of power, not a weak amount or anything.

i guess i will have to wait until wed when i get my powersupply to see what the problem is, and to see if the new supply fixes it, which im hoping it should.

ANy other suggestions, or should i just wait til my new power supply comes and try that, before i start doing anything else???

Murlo26 said:
ANy other suggestions, or should i just wait til my new power supply comes and try that, before i start doing anything else???

yeah ..when is your powersupply coming? I think that will solve the problem.

This formum needs a thread to post JUNK harware items. Chances are if you are having problems with a particular hardware item ..someone else would too. I mean you said you replaced the processor and powersupply with the exact ones correct?

That neopower PS you were talking about seems to kick ass. I was going to purchase that one but it didnt have modular inputs. Its by far superior to the one i have.

i returned the mobo and processor to make sure those werent the problems, and got new ones, so those arent the problem, because the same thing is happening, and because everything works great before i put the cpu in, so it should be the power supply, im hoping, and the new power supply comes tomorrow, should of had it here today because i overnighted it, but newegg was gay and didnt ship yesterday, and i even called to make sure it would ship yesterday, and it didnt, but what are you gonna do?

Murlo26 said:
Well i just assembled my computer and something went wrong. I turned it on, and everything would power up, fans would move for like half a sec then turn off

This sounds like maybe the heat sensor for the CPU turning off the system.

Are you sure you had the heatsink on the right way?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back