Power Supply for a Compaq question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi All,

I have sitting in front of me a Compaq 5430CA,

The power Supply is shot on it. My question is: I heard that these models have their own designed PSU's, that I cannot use a generic PSU. Can someone confirm this?

I have a new generic PSU that I can use if I can,

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

I don't know how proprietary it can be. Assuming you get a comporable PSU with adequate voltage and the right connectors for your mobo and your drives you should be good.

Did you find anything documented that the Power Supplies are specific to those machines?

Well, it came back from a repair shop and they told this client of mine that it cannot locate a propietary PSU for this model.

I am thinking along the lines like the old dell machines that the PSU's couldn't be swapped with generic because of the wiring. That is what I am assuming because of what this repair shop told my client.

Thanks,

Heeter

Have you tried contact HP/Compaq? I wouldn't put too much weight behind what some of the repair shops say.

Proprietary PC vendors like Dell and Gateway use their own formats, not ATX, so they lock you into purchasing their power supplies and motherboards.

Its not the wiring, usually its the mounting screws and/or case openings that are not compatible.

Some older model computers from around 2000 used different wires (same connector) which could get really messy.

Post the part number from the power supply and we can search for it's repalcement.

http://www.power-on.com/compaq.html

Theoretically, I should put the guts of this machine into a generic tower and then I should be able to use my generic PSU.

I will post the part number later today when I am in front of the machine,

Thanks for all your help so far guys,

Heeter

But again, they usually don't have standard ATX motherboard mounting screw locations.

Jeez!!!!!

Stop making my life so complicated!!!!!!LOLOL

Will post part number later today,

Thanks, J

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back