Power Supply Fan

theevilsithlord

Hail to the King, Baby!
Is it possible, or should i say, not dangerous, to change the fan on a power supply? Its the loudest part of my computer, and I was just wondering if anyone has done it or knows about it.

It used to be required on an annual basis. Fortunately they've improved the fans since the early 90's.

You need to find a (quiet) fan with the same airflow or higher as what you have now, and the same mounting holes. The fans are almost all standard 12 Vdc so you clip the 2 wires going to the existing fan and solder, crimp or use wire nuts to connect the new fan in its place. Make sure you get the airflow direction correct and the voltage polarity correct (+12 to +12 , gnd to gnd).

It's pretty easy. Just make sure you get the right screws when taking the cover off the power supply. If you loosen a heatsink screw by mistake the supply could fry when you putit back together.

Originally posted by theevilsithlord
what size is the standard fan for the psu?
the rear one is almost always 80mm. if it has a second or third fan inside, they might be 92mm.

Some PSU:s even have 120mm on the bottom, but those are usually silent.

theevilsithlord: Just watch out for the big capacitors, they can give you a nasty chock even after you've unplugged the PSU.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back