a 9600 xt @ 500 core clock and 600 memmory speed
one 160 g ultra dma hard drive and one 120 g sata hard drive
2 optical drives one cd burner and one dvd rom
one floppy disk
one tv tuner
one pci bay turbine fan

alll of this is running on a single fan 250w power supply
is this bad ?

what happens to your computer if it does not have a large enough power supply ?

is having a very powerful power supply important to ocing?
i am looking in to ocing

Looks very bad. I had a machine running a lower spec with similar power supply and it died - killing most of the hardware with it.

Should be looking for a 480W PSU to support all the components and future proofing for upgrades. Each component consumes different amount of power ranging from 5W in Optical drives to 95W in CPUs (more in Pentium 4s).
They all add up so having something like a 480W just makes people feel more comfortable with their system without having to worry about the machine choking.

Yes that is very very very bad. You should stop using that pc soon as possible and make a trip to the store or order a new PSU.

I definitely agree; a 270w psu is not enough with that config. I had an older athlon 1.1ghz rig with 2 optical drives and old tnt2 graphics card with a 300w psu, and that didn't last too long. Getting a reliable psu now would mean less to upgrade in the future :)

iceman7311 said:
good news guys i just got a 450 watt power supply
i said 550 not 450... oh well congrats :) i used to have a 480 now your computer will be running efficently

550 is overkill for his setup, 450 is pleanty of power (as long as you dont go SLi or anything like that). What kind did you pick up iceman? Did you invest into a nice quality name brand PSU? ie. Enermax, Antec, etc...?

450 isnt necessarrily plenty of power...

You should pay more attention to power output. You can have a 550w psu only giving 15A on +12v whcih is just as bad as running all that off of a 250w cheapy.

Ideally you want a 480W psu giving 20a or more on +12v otherwise you're overloading the psu and reducing its service life

I didnt know that, but knowing the PSU manufacturer and model number could answer that question :p

LordOfLA said:
Ideally you want a 480W psu giving 20a or more on +12v otherwise you're overloading the psu and reducing its service life

Hey Lord - but you haven't said teh T brand yet? :p ;) (T..T...T... Tagan.... OOoooops /me said it!) :lick: :laugh: :rolleyes:

it is a madd dog it cost 80 bucks so i didnt cheap out
it cane with 3 fans so it might actually keep my case cooler

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back