Power options - shutting down

S

steinberg_vst

.........................................Please help........................................

I am getting annoyed with having to wait for my pc to say
"it is now safe to turn off your computer"

yet on my friends pc you can just hit the power button on the front of his tower and it shuts down safely - I know where this setting should be but I dont appear to have that power option on my system although we both have XP professional.

Can anyone tell me if there is a plugin that does this, or any help to get round having to wait for my pc to shut down will be gratefully received.

Thanx in advance,

Jim.

you seem to have apm/acpi problems

make sure they are both enabled in BIOS

then go to start>settings>control panel>power options
under the APM tab, make sure its enabled

if still no luck, check your motherboards bios and make sure its updated to the latest which supports ACPI/APM under 2k/xp

I have the same problem, I mean its "now safe to.... etc" but it wont by itself shut down, and i would like to have it shut down by itself, can anyone help me pls ???

--------please--------- :D

I also have the same problem....anyone got any ideas?

i have another problem.......i just CAN´T get to the black screen with the windows XP logo that says "it is now safe to turn off your computer".........any help??????

The problem still persist but I found out that (on some machine (my for example :) ) u have to shut down the PC from the switch behind the PC, cos the switch in front if i press it it wont work) if u press and hold for aprox 4-5-6 sec the switch in front it shut down the PC :)

and I also heard that the old drivers of Genious mouse was doing this problem on 98 machine, maybe this is the case with XP also ?!

any comments ?

Originally posted by skromni
The problem still persist but I found out that (on some machine (my for example :) ) u have to shut down the PC from the switch behind the PC, cos the switch in front if i press it it wont work) if u press and hold for aprox 4-5-6 sec the switch in front it shut down the PC :)

This is what you call "hard shutdown". It gets the PC off allright, but it's not healty for your OS. There's a lot of data in the memory that needs to be written to the harddrive before your PC powers off, and this don't happen when you do a "hard shutdown". Conclusion: if you shut down that way, you risk loosing important data.

Originally posted by Carbonize

This is what you call "hard shutdown".
Conclusion: if you shut down that way, you risk loosing important data.

I am aware of that but it wont shut down by itself what i am supposed to do ?????:confused:

akash, in the second post of this thread, offered the solution to those of you that have ACPI capable systems. There is a glitch though, if you didn't have this feature enabled in your bios at setup, then you will likely need to reinstall (I think a 'repair' installation will suffice) again. If you believe your machine 'should' be powering down automatically at shutdown, then you'll need to 1 - enable it in your bios, and 2 - if it's already enabled, update your bios and you'll probably need to reinstall XP 'forcing' ACPI support. Here's a couple articles explaining how to force a particular ACPI installation:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299340

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309283

Final note: If you had ACPI support disabled in your bios then you shouldn't need to 'force' it. Just do a regular install and XP should pick it up for you ok.

damn, i had the same problem, but i just turned the APM option on, and that was it, the pc started to shut down all by himself, dunno what's happening over there..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back