Post your emabarrasing cock ups

Bytes Back

Ex Police Chief
Come on, we've all done it..

I'll start

Just spent the past hour wondering why I can't dial out. Checked all sorts of settings etc.

Then realised that earlier I had disonnected everything to pull the machine out and go inside it. When I connected it back up I had plugged the network cable into the ISDN and the ISDN into the network.

Ooops :eek: :eek:

LOL Bytes, I think that is what we would call a "screw up". :D :D

LOL this post should be good...

OK, im gonna tell on myself... but dont tell anyone else.... ok?

OK... i was messing with a partition propram once called AEFDISK. I was trying to rid of some linux partitions. (at the time I didnt have partition magic). I was thumbing through the help for it (dos based) and I ran across a command that was basically to delete all partitions EXCEPT this type of partition. So i though that would be cool, so I tried it. It werked...

Well luckily I re-looked at my partition table. Here is where the kicker is...hehehe. the partition table was empty... I immediately yelled a few explicitives.

I knew enough at the time to know that I was alright until I rebooted. So i busted out some CDR's and backed everything up that I wanted, rebooted and perceeded to rebuild my non-partitioned hard drive.

Now remember, I shared this with you and you only... DO NOT TELL ANYONE!

~TeK~

I did summit similar, i axidentally reformatted my e: drive which has (sorry had) all of my uni files on it.

I woz tryin to reformat the d: drive in dos, but cos my c: drive is ntfs fdisk didnt see it and d: became c: and e: became d: in fdisk. U can imagine the rest!! :)

There is a happy endin tho, cos i discovered easy recovery n got all me files bak, but i did have 2 change me boxers after!!

Ok this is for the I should have been born Blonde book....

I was moving my system to the other side of the room last week, and in doing so was extremely careful in how I managed the cables, and the routing of them, Taking note not to run data and sound across power etc... after successfully routing everything and securing it to the back of the Case once again.

This process by the way took the better part of two hours...

Satisfied I had thought of everything I could I hit the power switch on the monitor... NOTHING!

I checked the surge protector and yes it was switched on and plugged in... I hit the button on the tower... NOTHING!!

By now I was frustrated... I had done EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!

OR HAD I....

after 45 min of fruitless searching.. and even a trip to the basement to check breakers... I was sitting in front of my computer stumped when I thought..LIGHTSWITCH!!!

PRESTO the little flick restored life to my now fully working system... with a few min of adjusting I now have a NON SWITCHED outlet and my system loves me....

Heres the best one come on how many of you have done it? Been working under the bonnet gone to switch it on been amazed when it doesn't work stripped it down and then re built it kicked the thing a few times and then realised that you switched the plugs off....

come on be honest

OK...I'll admit. The first time I replaced a heatsink and fan on a CPU, I cleaned all the "gook" of the processor so everything would be clean and tidy. Installed the new heatsink and fan. Wow! High Temperatures. Of course as you all know, the "gook" was thermal compound. :eek: Luckily, I caught it before any major damage (thank goodness for motherboard monitor). Went out and got a tube of Arctic Silver, problem solved.

Doe`s this count??

I originally had an Amiga 1200.
Bought a new PC, set it all up, but could not insert the floppy disk.
Then after half a year :D looking in the manual, I raelised it was part of the case, and not on the side of the keyboard. HoHum!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back