Post SP1 Performance Problems

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Hey All,

Check out the attachment. The screen shot is taken 5 minutes after boot, with NO applications running. As you can see the CPU is jumping up and down, and the process causing this seems to be explorer. I know for sure this wasn't happening prior to SP1.

Does anyone have similar probs?

Specs:

Win XP Pro - legit (laptop from work, Compaq Armada E500)
P3 800 MhZ
196 RAM (I think)
ATI rage mobility

Nope I've not had that problem. I'm going to say that if the laptop has a 196 MB of ram that over the minimum bout is under the recommended amount so that could be a factor in the problem. What services or anything was running in the background according to the task manger?

[How do I attach something to a reply?]

I wanted to add that I have no mem resident apps running in the systray or else like a defrag or anti virus utilities. No extra services are enabled, and I checked via MSCONFIG for other startup items: nuttin'

I have this pc over 3 months now with XP o it, and up untill now I haven't xp-erience'd any severe performance problems.

Greetz

Lukas

Argghhhh.... stupid....

Here are the processes...

and here is another screen, with only IE (1 instance) and Norton Antivirus RUnning... This isn't normal...

Well to attach something to a reply use the post reply button. As to what is causing the problem with the performance since u said nothing running in the system tray or any antivrus software or any other utilties, then I'm out idea's as to why. Have u done a defrag since u installed the SP I really don't think it would help but one never knows. Well ur right that its get worse when u run something but I still don't see anything that should be causing the problem. So I don't think I'm goin be of much help since I've not had a problem.

I fugured it out, the attachment thing.... (local time here: 9.00 AM, so those stupid questions are kinda normal:D )

Well, I don't know about defrag... It's the explorer process that is jumping... I don't know why... Scanning for virusses now.

thnx

Greetz

Lukas

This is what I get I event viewer after a reboot (7 events in total, newest first):

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 1 Uniprocessor Free.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

The SSDP Discovery Service service entered the running state.

The SSDP Discovery Service service was successfully sent a start control.

The Fast User Switching Compatibility service entered the running state.

The Fast User Switching Compatibility service was successfully sent a start control.

Greetz,

Lukas

Originally posted by Lukas

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
Based on that what I qouted could be the problem so I if I were u I might think bout contacting Compaq/HP bout it. But thats ur choice to make but based on the info u have supplied I would think that would be the best choice.

Good morning, you said there is no virusscanner running. NAVW32.exe in your processes is Norton Antivirus. Are you sure that not this is causing the high CPU usage? I heard of such problems with NAV.
About this error message in the event viewer you can find information here .

I was running virus scan manually, not memory resident. I've scanned the pc coz I thought a virus could be cousing this...

Thnx for info!

This is really getting worse!

Now average CPU usage is about 65 % with no applications open except task manager.

I think I'm screwed: it's impossible to uninstall SP1 without backing up during the SP1 installation, isn't it? I have a rather small HD, and I didn't back up... ARGHHH!

I enabled System Restore (I've disabled it yesterday to free up HD Space) and my cpu times went down to a stable 2% on idle!

This is weird!

Greetz

Lukas

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back