post count good, bad, enhanced, or plain ugly - the poll

Post counts - to me they should ideally be calculated...

• just like they are now (all forums, simple increment of one)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • just like now but only on certain forums (or with forum weighting)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • on the basis of rating by readers (incl. mods)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • on the basis of rating by moderators (mods only to prevent abuse)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • they are totally irrelevant to me

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Thought I'd stick a poll up here, since it seems to have been a factor in shrinkage of community by at least one (see here )

And also a sort of request - should it be possible for site members (or even guests) to give a sort of -5 to +5 mark to a post where 0 is basically neutral (IE I read the post and it was OK) whereas -5 might be for breaking guidelines or offending or even making you spill your beverage of choice and +5 might be for it solved my problem, told me all I needed to now and more and made me a beverage of choice too!

I put in a poll option for that - hopig it is not too much VB3 work and database change - it could even theoretically replace the post count - just change the name of what it is and call it posting rating or something (BUT remember to allow for it to go -ve EP!) Imagine that - a real bad dood could end up with a posting count of like -500 or something.... (*thinks dangerous thoughts* - " you could arrange to have members referred to mods if they hit -1000 and barred from posting unless their ways were mended)

Anyway - thought this concept was worth a post, definitely seen it on other forums and seems to work OK if community is up to it.

OOOoops

OMG I just noticed this sorry guys - I seem to be expert in reinventing very recent wheels here! I hope the poll is still helpful! :eek: :eek: :eek:

had I but known/thought...

Evil Marge said:
I voted "they are totally irrelevant to me " :D
I would have made the voting public on this poll - hey any Mods out there, or EP, can you change the poll to make it that way? Lookslike the thread may get long if you don't, because I'm guessing folks will want to have their say in public.

I don't care much for post counts :)

they are only helpful in determining trolls... :D but fortunately we have few and far between over here..

*Points MainframeGuy in the direction of the edit button - use it wisely*

Post counts mean nothing.

SPeedY_B said:
*Points MainframeGuy in the direction of the edit button - use it wisely*

Post counts mean nothing.

I try Speedy, honest I do, but you cannot use it to add a poll (can you?), or did you just mean put my apology and link in my original post? I did not think that would make as much sense.

And no, honestly, I was not avoiding the edit button to boost my post count :p

I actually just meant in general. If you needed a poll adding to a thread, just ask a mod, they can add it. :)

Mainframeguy said:
I would have made the voting public on this poll - hey any Mods out there, or EP, can you change the poll to make it that way? Lookslike the thread may get long if you don't, because I'm guessing folks will want to have their say in public.
hey hey - did I or did I not ask a mod? Or is the correct way to PM them?

Post counts are mildly helpful because in a community as large as this, I wouldn't be as willing to take advice from someone with a post count of 3 versus 300, just because they latter has been around longer and, although doesn't neccissarly know more, has at least a proven dedication to helping and the community.

Postcount threads where people whine about postcounts are totally irrelevant to me...

How many of these type threads are needed anyway? :rolleyes: So over it.

i see no point for a post count, but i think there has to be a way to see who's been usefull + who doesn't have a clue and is full off bullsh!t :cool:

So if a knowledgeable member joins up and their first post is perfect advise. Then a random person who knows nothing gives incorrect advise in the same thread, yet has 500 posts thanks to the lounge. You'd trust the 500-post member?

SPeedY_B said:
So if a knowledgeable member joins up and their first post is perfect advise. Then a random person who knows nothing gives incorrect advise in the same thread, yet has 500 posts thanks to the lounge. You'd trust the 500-post member?
i said the total oposite :confused::rolleyes:

I was answering blinden's post, you replied whilst I was typing. Post count does not show in any form if someone knows what they are talking about.

I agree. Ditch the post counts. Bring back the reputation system with positive points only. Much more useful.

yeah, good point, too high of a post count leads me to think that someone is just going reply crazy and not really knwoing what they are saying...

just a thought

xsivforce said:
never judge a book by its cover...
Well said :)

blinden said:
yeah, good point, too high of a post count leads me to think that someone is just going reply crazy and not really knwoing what they are saying...

just a thought
Agreed, there's a limit on both extremes though (ie really high, and really low.. or just new)

I think NetRyders suggestion to remove counts from display and bring back the rep system would work :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back