post count good, bad, enhanced, or plain ugly - the poll

Post counts - to me they should ideally be calculated...

• just like they are now (all forums, simple increment of one)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • just like now but only on certain forums (or with forum weighting)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • on the basis of rating by readers (incl. mods)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • on the basis of rating by moderators (mods only to prevent abuse)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • they are totally irrelevant to me

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters
only getting plus rep points for good posts is a good way to judge whether someone is very helpful and only plus points keeps people from using the rep system poorly by giving negative points just to take someone down for no reason...

Post counts don't matter. I only post when I want to say something (such as now). Just because my post count is small doesn't mean I don't know what I am saying :)

Only positive points would mean modifying files, something I am not going to do until vb3 final arrives, hence it is hidden until vb3 final arrives.

Post counts may be irrelevant, but still, i like to have one, because it does communicate that some members are more attached to the board than others are.

However as Speedy says -

So if a knowledgeable member joins up and their first post is perfect advise. Then a random person who knows nothing gives incorrect advise in the same thread, yet has 500 posts thanks to the lounge. You'd trust the 500-post member?

This is probably exactly what does happen, however i fail to see how removing the post count would help the person requesting help, he would still have to decide between 2 conflicting pieces of advice with no knowledge of the subject irrespectively. And a Kudos system would be no good either as it does not relate to said poster what the persons Kudos points are for, only that he has helped people in the past on the forum, but that could be with anything, and he would still have difficulty deciding.

However it also bothers me that some people can use certain threads to increase post count, ala A really long thread etc, perhaps its because like others i also look at post count as an indicator of how knowledgeable a particular person may be on a certain type of forum even though i know this is not always the case.

Therefore i voted that post count increases be stopped on certain threads.

They should be how they are now but they don't really mean much to me.

Electronic Punk said:
Only positive points would mean modifying files, something I am not going to do until vb3 final arrives, hence it is hidden until vb3 final arrives.

Sounds good. We can wait :)

I have to say post counts are a waste of time, if someone is getting bad advice or posting a load of drivel, then they stand out like the proverbial beacon in the desert.

The popularity and the content of the site speaks volumes.

That was a long message from me, I had better sit down and rest. :D :D

I think removing the increase count from the Lounge has worked quite well actually. Just need the (+ only) rep points and it'll be sorted :D

SPeedY_B said:
I think removing the increase count from the Lounge has worked quite well actually. Just need the (+ only) rep points and it'll be sorted :D
Too late too little, if it was done from the get go you'd had something like 10 posts right now :p

my god PseudoKiller's a bit late closing this thread down... is he off sick today ?

Probably took a day off for head shaving and drowning in self pity.

It doesn't need closing, it's a discussion thread.. Just try keep it on topic ;)

*agrees with Henyman and waits for the rep system to return along with the board upgrade*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back