Possible virus ?

D

Dustmonkey

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there can help me out. My comp has started acting strange in the last week or so. Basically 90% of the time when I try to connect to the net (elsa microlink 56k modem) I get a message telling me that a dial tone could not be found, but when i plug my phone in, it's fine. When I delete network connection for my ISP then try recreating it that still doesnt fix it. The only way I manage to get round it is running system restore and roll my system back about 1 week. Even then it only last for a couple of days before the same thing starts all over again :(
Also at the same time I have this connection problem, windows doesnt seem to shut down correctly. It takes about 5 mins to shut down/restart, and during the shutdown process I get a message that says :

dwwin.exe - DLL Initialization failed

The application failed to initialise because the windows station is shutting down.

Yet once system restore has been ran and my connection is working ok, shut down also seems to be ok.
Basically what Im asking is, does this sound like a possible virus, or more like just a corrupted file or something? I have downloaded the lastest virus deffanitions for Norton Antivirus 2002, then done a full system scan but it doesnt find any suspitious files.
I am very inexperienced in these matters, and appologise if I havent really explained my problem very well, but plz help me out..........any advise or tips would be more than appreciated.

It's driveing me crazy.........my OS is Win XP pro

UPDATE:
My friend has near enough the same system as me we both done a search on our systems for windll.exe to what files we had relating to it. and i have a file called DWWIN.EXE-30875ADC.pf, which so far no one has been able to give me any infomation on. And he has a file called C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache which I dont have anywhere on my system, but Im pretty sure i should have it (and yes i have got show all hidden folders selected in my folder options)

I dont know if this additional info helps any? I hope so

go for a reformat and reinstall XP only advice I can give u .... Well one more thing if u search for file make sure u have advanced settings for the search on so it will look through system folders and etc.

i had a prob on my wifes system with a missing dll file and the only way i could get around it was to reformat and reinstall

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back