Possible to slipstream Office 2K7 setup into Windows XP Unattended?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I've been looking around, and so far it doesn't seem possible, but I would like to get a definitive answer. Previously I have spent time creating Windows XP CD's, integrating updates + service packs into them, and also occasionally throwing O2K3 on them so that it installs during the Windows XP install. Recently I have created an SP3 CD, and would like to put Office 2K7 installation on it so when I deploy computers, I can continue cutting down on the times where I'm formatting them.

Researching doesn't seem to prove that helpful in getting a definitive answer. Is this possible? If not, is there another easy way where I could possibly make this an easy install for me to install on Users' computers?

why not use disk imaging?

Such as something like Norton Ghost? We traditionally in the past attempted to implement that. When I became full time here, I personally did away with that because more time was spent attempting to troubleshoot installs of Norton and such rather than being able to install the OS itself. For whatever reason, the person here before me when he ordered systems, there were too many differences between systems that caused the Ghost client to fail the push out.

Since then, we haven't looked into any other form of OS Installation. The quickest method was always the unattended disk creation that I had, worked like a champ previously. Presently, some of the clients here are going to be getting Thinclients, which will be connecting to a VMWare Server... so for the most part all I need to do is setup an image I need there, and can create a template. That will be done, however space is a tad bit of an issue the way things are organized here... something my senior engineer is responsible for as he understand it, not myself unfortunately.

Disk Imaging is a far superior method if done correctly - if it wasn't loading due to differences in hardware, you just need to have the correct drivers. You can do most of everything, especially with a run-once or similar when it wakes up and goes through the mini-setup wizard. No comparison vs. loading just the OS and Office from a CD.

That being said - if you are looking for an automated solution, you can add a script to your CD that calls an administrative share for Office 2007 from a network location if you can't easily enough add it. I still would recommend imaging, but that should work too.

How much would it be to obtain a copy of Norton Ghost to be able to do the imaging? Just curious, not saying I'm going to be able to go that route just yet. I still would have to implement the drivers for the network card on the disk so that it could go out and obtain setup information from the network share... I've never done that before and am wondering how easy it would be to set that up.

You could run a script to install it at first logon (I do this with .NET, Windows Defender, etc.). But in order to fit Office and XP onto the same disc you would have to burn it to DVD.

How much would it be to obtain a copy of Norton Ghost to be able to do the imaging? Just curious, not saying I'm going to be able to go that route just yet. I still would have to implement the drivers for the network card on the disk so that it could go out and obtain setup information from the network share... I've never done that before and am wondering how easy it would be to set that up.
You could do BartPE and use Plugins for Norton Ghost. Pretty good stuff and easy ways to incoporate new network drivers (www.nu2.nu).

Can also do straight WinPE if you have a license for that as well, which I think is now available for free?

could also look at deploying the applications using policies..

Yes it is possible, but you'll need media big enough to fit XP and Office on.

Though it's not slipstreaming in the usual sense it'll be installed by XP's installer.

there is (or was) a guide over at msfn for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back